Countryside/wildlife/conservation courses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
I'm planning on a change of lifestyle in a couple of years:) and to get myself prepared & maybe employable, am trying to find a suitable countryside/wildlife/conservation course. It needs to be at Level 3 and part-time/distance learning, at least to start with. I'm up for anything to do with the countryside, really, not too specific and preferably fairly hands-on rather than academic. Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Thanks,

Ted W

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm planning on a change of lifestyle in a couple of years:) and to get myself prepared & maybe employable, am trying to find a suitable countryside/wildlife/conservation course. It needs to be at Level 3 and part-time/distance learning, at least to start with. I'm up for anything to do with the countryside, really, not too specific and preferably fairly hands-on rather than academic. Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Thanks,

Ted W

Might sound like an odd question but, are you soon-to-be-ex-Services and looking at resettlement? It's just that you mention Level-3 and this is the minimum requirement for some of the Services learning sources of funding.

If I have got totally the wrong end of the stick, I'll get my coat...:rolleyes:

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I'm studying first year in FDSC (Foundation Degree) Rural and Countryside Management in N.I.

Google it and see if there's a College near you does it?

I'd definately recommend it. I'm trained in just about most things now that I wanted to be (ie, Chainsaw, Brushcutter, Pesticide Application, EDCL etc etc) all for free!

:)

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
If you have the time, one of the best ways to make yourself employable is to volunteer with certain organisations, e.g. British Trust for Conservation Volunteers, local Wildlife Trust, Environment Agency etc. once they know your face you stand more chance of hearing about any jobs coming up plus they tend to train you up in whatever you need to know, chainsaws, habitat management etc.
As for courses...sorry already started answering so now I can't see where you're based, but Cornwall College run a load that are along the lines of agriculture, or ecology and conservation, or countryside management plus not a bad part of the country to be living in. They're not all distant learning or part time at the minute but in a couple of years they're likely to be.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks for all the replies:)

Mikey P - spot on, guess it's obvious!

Location is the Netherlands, for another 18 months or so, hence my desire for something distance learning to start with. I do plan to volunteer with a local conservation/woodland/wildlife group when I get back to the UK, but not sure where I'll be then and I wanted to make a start if possible.

I'll have a look at the suggestions; so thanks again:D

Cheers,

Ted W

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks for all the replies:)

Mikey P - spot on, guess it's obvious!

Location is the Netherlands, for another 18 months or so, hence my desire for something distance learning to start with. I do plan to volunteer with a local conservation/woodland/wildlife group when I get back to the UK, but not sure where I'll be then and I wanted to make a start if possible.

I'll have a look at the suggestions; so thanks again:D

Cheers,

Ted W

Ted,

I'm about to book onto the Kingswood Training Arboriculture course for October as part of my resettlement - really looking forward to it! They do a special course for service leavers - check out the website.

I guess you are at Brunssum or Den Haag? Ah, the joys of Heerlen...

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Mikey P - precise! Office monkey at JFCHQ - still, sun's shining and you can't beat an evening in the markt, sipping a belgian beer or three and watching the girls go by!

I like the look of the SAC distance-learning HNC courses so will be looking hard at them for next year, but I'll keep looking elsewhere too. Good luck with your arborist course, let us know how you get on.

BTW, BCUK has been the best way I've found for getting some useful info on the stuff I was looking for - many thanks to all:) :D :thanks:

Ted W

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
hi,

the btcv run courses, from weekend to months long

also i recall that moulton college in northants did wildlife managment typ degrees as well

hope you find what you are looking for

stevec

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
If you can manage/afford it then get an NPTC qualification in chainsaw use. Its pretty much a must-have for practical outdoor conservation work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE