Countryside comes to the city.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Townies are funny - the gods fobid that they might be exposed to something natural and harmless. Same when they feel qualified to turn the countryside into a dog toilet, free camp site and theme park - too naive for words!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Townies are funny - the gods fobid that they might be exposed to something natural and harmless. Same when they feel qualified to turn the countryside into a dog toilet, free camp site and theme park - too naive for words!

They have a very nimby attitude. They'd freak if they could see the cicada phenomenon in the States. Personally, I'd love to see that but will have to wait another 17/18 years.

Wonder if all that silk could be woven..

Good point. I don't know.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This stuff is just...weird huh?

Like a couple of people near us who are trying to eradicate voles but wax lyrical about barn owls (sigh) - they just argue the toss when you explain the nature of "ecosystem" as though offended by the concept that the world does not exist for their personal leisure. Its rather like thoise that refuse to understand that small woodlands have been preserved by their owners for hunting and shooting - not as a toilet for other peoples dogs!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This stuff is just...weird huh?

Like a couple of people near us who are trying to eradicate voles but wax lyrical about barn owls (sigh) - they just argue the toss when you explain the nature of "ecosystem" as though offended by the concept that the world does not exist for their personal leisure. Its rather like thoise that refuse to understand that small woodlands have been preserved by their owners for hunting and shooting - not as a toilet for other peoples dogs!

Ironicly though it was when I lived in the country that we NEVER had or even heard of leash laws (a dog on a leash is useless to a farmer or hunter) and never concerned ourselves about dogs (our own or anybody else's) unless they killed livestock ot threatened people.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most of the public rights of way go through farmland here santaman - since townies seem to moan when their dogs are shot for chasing off game birds or worrying sheep (which amounts to the same sort of financial loss), its easier to make them keep their dogs on a lead. Working dogs belonging to the landowner or permitted shooters (hunting means something else here) such as spaniels and retrievers are of course not on a lead. You would be amazed at the idiots that think its okay for their dogs to chase birds as an example - no sense at all!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's getting that way here as well I'm afraid. I miss the old days of my youth. When i posted about the irony, it was more about the difference between then vs now, rather than here vs there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Do you think they'd like it if some country folk put on ski masks, killed people's pets, abused them in the street and took photos of them and their properties if they decide to kill the caterpillars?
That's what a lot of country folk have to put up with.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Well this escalated quickly :eek: It's a crap newspaper interviewing idiots about caterpillers and you're already lighting the pitchforks (or whatever angry mobs do these days...).

I'd like to have seen an honest reply from the council though or at least one person who said something like "well at least I don't have to put bird food out this week."

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Well this escalated quickly :eek: It's a crap newspaper interviewing idiots about caterpillers and you're already lighting the pitchforks (or whatever angry mobs do these days...).

I'd like to have seen an honest reply from the council though or at least one person who said something like "well at least I don't have to put bird food out this week."

Haha! Don't be daft. It's a brilliant comic, I like the comments section the most.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As its the Daily Wail (something must be done, think of the children) I'm fairly surprised they aren't calling them Immigrants and trying to ban them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE