Could a beginner make this chair?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im no wood butcher but I come from a long line of carpenters.

I think you could...provided that you had basic tools, of course.

Now the bit that I fear might defeat you is finding the wood...you might be able to find nice rustic bits of wood, Im sure, but getting them to go together in an elegant way might be another thing.

In fact I suspect it might defeat even an experienced chippy. To make such things requires an artistic way as well as the knack.

(Oh yes, and the joints might be tricky)

Its a bit like Japanese art. (and the Japanese loved strange shaped bits of wood like that. In fact that is the way they would make a chair...if they had chairs) The basic ideas are very simple but it takes a master to make them look good.

But then, you may have they qualities im trying to explain.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Maybe but it's a cr*p chair. There is no triangulation to prevent racking, that is if you pushed one of the arms sideways all the pressure is on that very weak joint between leg and board seat so it would just rack over. I doubt that chair would last more than a couple of months in normal use. There are plenty of good designs of chairs made from green wood whether bendy or straight and it is not so difficult to learn. Mike Abbott's "green woodwork" is a good starting point. or perhaps John Alexander's "make a chair from a tree"

PS just noticed you are from Ireland, search sugan chair and make your own regional type.

Last edited:

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
My Father built some bush chairs of similar type many moons ago in the late 40's. I still have the last remaining one and it has stood the test of time well. Interestingly, I was evaluating a Tea Tree (Melaleuca sp) that needs some serious pruning and reduction, I found myself thinking "I wonder if I could get enough lengths to build myself a Bush Chair?" Methinks I can, although construction will be on the back burner for some time. So, if I can build one ...

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Yes, I feel you could make a green wood chair like this. The picture does not show the jointing methods properly, but it does look like the jointing inspiration comes from someone using western European methods.

Chairs like this have been made for a long time (although the chair itself is a fairly new invention to be honest), and they last very well.

Although most of the wood working I do is making things like reproduction Georgian furniture, I do also dabble in landscape and green wood items, so feel that if you can find the 'correct' shapes of wood, then you should have no problems in making the chair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE