Costal Shellfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
The only thing you should look out for is these Marine algal blooms. Look here for more information; keep an eye on the local news and papers.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Hi,

Stuart took me to his local bit of coast the other day (thanks Stuart) for a forage, and we collected a load of limpets and cooked them on a stone (well, concrete block actually). They were a little on the well done side, but I think we both agreed they were quite nice to eat. Not as chewey as I was expecting and the flavour was alright too. I thought it was a little bit like a mushroom flavour.

Later, I took the rest of the limpets home and cooked some more. I dropped them in boiling water for about 30 seconds (they almost immediately 'fell' out of their shells). I removed the internal organs and fried the meat in butter until brown, then served them with noodles.

Cooked this way they were quite foul. They were rubbery and chewey in texture and the flavour jarred against the flavour of the butter.

I was surprised at how foul they were compared to the ones we'd eaten the beach. I'd certainly say that dry roasting them improved the texture and flavour considerably.

Pappa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE