Cordage.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This hasn't been touched on in a while. How important it is to keep skill levels up, and to try using the materials to hand. So i thought I'd make some cordage.

I think this is a Lilly of some kind?

cordage%20041.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Using some of the dead leaves from the bottom, soaking them for 20 mins, then about 20 mins making, produced just over 4' of cordage. there is also Crocosmia in the garden, that also makes good cordage.

cordage%20035.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cordage%20036.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I made a conical Fish Trap the other day as a little project , quite amazed how much cordage it required. Definitely a skill I need to practice and master.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
That look like good cordage - I would never have thought to use Lilly leaves. How does it seem strength wise compared to other natural cordage?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nicely done :D . To be honest I'd not considered using Daylily (Hemerocallis) leaves ~ not sure why, it's not as if we don't have enough in the garden! :yikes: :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neatly done Colin :D and timely reminder too.

I use the lilies and iris leaves for cordage too. They are both very good. Better as rope than string I find, but nettle's hard to beat for that, while lime is superb for both.

It's funny the way there's always something that's in season for good cordage through the year. From honeysuckle, to the withered iris leaves, inner bark like willow, to sweetgrass, etc.,

Funny too the things that make good cordage that we wouldn't suspect. Dried crocus leaves make really good stuff too, but weathered and withered lobelia does as well. It's part of the flax family.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE