Coracles

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Anyone built one? on a course or otherwise? I'd like to build one (when i get some time and some spare cash) and was just curious to see if any of you guys had given it a go?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
is it similar to what Ray Mears did in one of his programmes, stake out the size and shape then build the framework within it?
I would like to go on one of the traditional courses done by Peter Faulkner but the cash flow is going towards the car for the next few months! :/

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Dunno if i can should another forum but roadkillphil on NBC has been scratchbuilding a coracle with a sort of photodiary as it develops

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
is it similar to what Ray Mears did in one of his programmes, stake out the size and shape then build the framework within it?
I would like to go on one of the traditional courses done by Peter Faulkner but the cash flow is going towards the car for the next few months! :/

Just like that!
Have a look at ththe national corracle centre website (they have a copy of the article I wrote in the centre...but I dont think it is on the website) masses of info on corracles!

I would not be suprised to find RM got his inspiration from this centre :D

Round here they still use corracles for fishing on the rivers - an unbroken tradition from prehistory - and the bloke who taught me actually paddled one across the English Channel.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
If anyone fancies trying a go in a coracle with a bit of instruction to boot the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust at Slimbridge (Gloucestershire) have them for hire for a fiver an hour, you get basic instruction and an opportunity to paddle about on your own in their shallow reeed beds. It's best to telephone for availabiliy. Just google Slimbridge for more details...........

bearbait

I see you reside in Radnorshire. I built a coracle on a course run by Tim Wade in Newbridge-on-Wye or thereabouts, some years ago.
IMG_2763_cr.jpg

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Yes mate, I'm not far from there really, well about 25-30 mile. might look into a local course when the funds are a bit better!
thats a great looking coracle by the way!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE