coracle making

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Hi all, just found this thread about coracles, a bit late in the day and I see you have my book already. I think sweet chestnut split into lathes is a great idea, and far more durable than ash. It is easy and cheep for me to get ash lathe from the sawmill I regularly use, as I buy in bulk. Since writing this book a few years ago I realized that it is not so easy for people to get hold of good quality ash lathe, so come this autumn I will be updating it to include making coracles from hazel and or willow, which for a lot of us can be got hold of easier. I have also been making paddles from ash for a local canoe adventure company and will be giving other ways of making paddles from one piece of green wood.

Coracles are great fun and are a fantastic way of watching the wildlife as they are silent. One day if I ever get any time to play I would like to make a currach or curragh so I could take the whole family with me in one boat.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I'm booked in for the Coracle making course at Butser Ancient Farm (tomorrow, Saturday 18th July)...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE