copper rod for knapping

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for some copper rod for flint knapping,

Anyone know where I can get some?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, Earthing wire.
Maplins do 6mm dia which I found to be a bit thin.
Apparently some of the heavier earthing cables are made from three strands of 10mm. A pal said he could get some but it was taking him a while and in that time I tried antler, got used to it and cancelled the order.

You can make a usable spike from copper pipe, just flatten/beat to shape with a hammer.
I went off copper because it left marks on the pitchstone I was flaking.

I'm not much cop at the whole knapping lark but hope that gives you some ideas. I've got a few spare antler tines if you'd like to try one.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Try a good hobby/model shop .... our local one in cardiff sells 1/2 and 3/4 inch billets about a foot long as well as thinner diameter copper rods that make wonderful pressure flakers.

Ed

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all!

Will keep looking

I have antler tines at the moment, thanks for the offer though!

Do need some antler hammers though! :D :D

Will check out some hobby shops as well!

Regards

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't forget your local scrap merchant. I picked up a piece of 4mm brass plate that was about 300mm x 500mm and all I paid was a fiver for it.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have notices that some us the US sites (like 3 rivers archery) have starting to use aluminum for some some of they pressure/percussion flaker. I know it is a bit late for this years season but I am making combo sap tapper/flaker and am planning on casting the butt in AL for percussion flaking and making a couple of steel and AL 'probes' to fit in the 7mm drill bit socket for pressure flaking.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have notices that some us the US sites (like 3 rivers archery) have starting to use aluminum for some some of they pressure/percussion flaker. I know it is a bit late for this years season but I am making combo sap tapper/flaker and am planning on casting the butt in AL for percussion flaking and making a couple of steel and AL 'probes' to fit in the 7mm drill bit socket for pressure flaking.

Hi mate.

Long time no speak!

Never gave ally a thought, and have tones of the stuff!

Keep us posted on your project, sounds very interesting!

If you are down my way any time over the summer drop me a line

regards

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Apologies, I missed this thread till now. Have you had any joy?

I have some offcuts from work of copper of around 6.4mm diameter. I have a length of 140mm that has been turned down to a Marlin spike sort of shape that doesn't have a role in life any more. I also have a couple of other pieces floating about as well. Would any of that be of use to you?

Have fun.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Nobody has mentioned this yet:

Check out the large BUSS BARS from electical fuse/junction boxes. Some have bars that are 1/2 inch thick by up to 3 inches wide. And I even found some that where 1 inch by 1 1/2 inches! Especially check out the scrapped electrical boxes from larger factories and businesses, or from the electric companies themselves. Those substations have some nice 1 1/2 inch diameter round rod connectors in them.

I used some to forge up some replica Copper Age Indian knifes, spear points, arrowheads, awls, and fish hooks for a national park two summers ago. They were very impressed. I posted a pic in the photo gallery last summer.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Nobody has mentioned this yet:

Check out the large BUSS BARS from electical fuse/junction boxes. Some have bars that are 1/2 inch thick by up to 3 inches wide. And I even found some that where 1 inch by 1 1/2 inches! Especially check out the scrapped electrical boxes from larger factories and businesses, or from the electric companies themselves. Those substations have some nice 1 1/2 inch diameter round rod connectors in them.

I used some to forge up some replica Copper Age Indian knifes, spear points, arrowheads, awls, and fish hooks for a national park two summers ago. They were very impressed. I posted a pic in the photo gallery last summer.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I would have thought that most of that sort of stuff would have had to have been recycled by law over hear. WEEE or such like. Nice idea though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE