Copper kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Daft question, but as I have just got me paws on a copper kettle, is it safe to use ?
They seem to be mostly ornamental now but is that for any good health reason ?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, I know that people have been very sick when using copper coffee pots that have had their tin coating deficient. Humans need a small amount of copper but apparently some copper vessels have more than that dissolving.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's an interesting question. The boiling water will, undoubtedly, take up more copper than cold water but probably very little once any calcium forms on the surface. On the other hand, the cold water runs through tens of metres of copper piping and, on occasions, sits in the piping overnight or longer.

Coffee is acidic and may well have other chemical reactions with copper that could cause sickness.

Would I use it every day for every cuppa? probably not. Would I use it occasionally at a steam punk camp? yes, definitely.

Reactions: Toddy and bigbear

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is apparently partly a question of pH of water used, high is good. There can be a passivated layer formed on the inside but that is not safe. So if no lining better not use it, seems to be the message on several sites.

If I remember correctly there are some real chemists on board.

Daft question, but as I have just got me paws on a copper kettle, is it safe to use ?
They seem to be mostly ornamental now but is that for any good health reason ?
You don't say if it is a cooking kettle or a tea kettle. If it is a cooking kettle it is okay to use providing you do not cook any acidic foods that will leach the copper. A tea kettle is fine for just boiling water bigbear. I use a brass cooking kettle for food & water, but it is tin lined.
Kettle-custom-024-REDUCED.jpg
Kettle-custom-023-2-REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

Reactions: bigbear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE