Copper handled fire starter

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I asked what other bushcraft items I could incorporated my copper skills into and it was suggested I make a handle for a ferro rod. Here it is.....the 1970 penny is the year I came into the world.
ype9evy7.jpg
e3ujaqy8.jpg
5ujuzume.jpg
umuhy3yj.jpg
qude8aha.jpg
ujenuvuj.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Loving your work sir!

Its wonderfully refreshing to see work like yours which is new to the forum and not a "me too" piece :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I do like that alot.

Are you planning put anything in the chamber of the handle - perhaps to help with the ignition of the fire like a roll of char cloth for example.

Are you planning to make more of these. I would certainly go for one especially if I could send you a penny from the year of my birth to give it the personal touch like you have with yours.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I would consider making these, but only after upgrading to a maker membership. Rules are rules! And to answer your other question, I plan on storing a bit of jute or some char cloth in the handle.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
realy nice work mate if your looking for ideas

I'd like to see the frame for a frense lens - maybe with a lanyard point too - that would be cool :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Very nice. When I saw the title I thought 'Great, I've been waiting to see what this guy does so I can copy one'.

But, then I saw the pics (so I might be on the list to order one. Just need a slightly older coin :)

Have you seen the 'trench art style snuff boxes on eBay?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you just opened up a new market there mate, very very nice work, loads of people would have one if you made them...:)

fire kit tins, bow drill tins and tinder tubes would all sell very well im sure....;)

regards.

chris.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice work CC goodjob

When I suggested a firesteel handle I was thinking more along the lines of a handle for a traditional steel like the Tibetan one Wayland has in this picture along with the little tinder box :)

Tibetan_pouch_2.jpg

Picture has been borrowed from Gary's site here

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Nice work CC goodjob

When I suggested a firesteel handle I was thinking more along the lines of a handle for a traditional steel like the Tibetan one Wayland has in this picture along with the little tinder box :)

Tibetan_pouch_2.jpg

Picture has been borrowed from Gary's site here

That one may have to wait till spring when I have my forge up and running again. Winter has arrived here so the forge work goes on hold until it warms up a bit! If I get a nice day I may give it a go before then!
eru6a4yb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE