Coolmesh straps vs normal one's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twdi

Mar 8, 2010
Netherlands
Besides my post about the karrimor sabre 30, I'm also into a bigger one. Although I'm not sure about which size yes, I have to narrowed it down to militaire version too.

In the dutch army, the Lowe Alpine's Sting(ray) and saracen are general available but after I've seen the big karrimor's, the coolmesh straps and the back system of the karrimor seems mutch more comfortable than the normal straps and system of de LA's. Especially when it's a bit warmer like in hot summers days.

It this idea true?

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4044
vs
http://pri.lemmin.com/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/107/image/289/

About the size, would you prefer a:

45 liter + 2 additional side pockets or
75 liter
60-100 sizable?

Thanks.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The karrimor sabres above 75 litre but not including the 75 have adjustable back systems.I got rid of my 75 because the fixed back wasn't long enough(I'm 6' 4").I cant comment on the coolmesh system as the whole sack didn't fit so wasn't comfortable to start.The coolmesh on the 30l didn't seem to be that much different to a plain back.I now use a berghaus Vulcan as my large pack and can't fault it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Coolmesh or not, carrying a big/heavy pack will will make you sweat. Althought the penetration of sweat thru fabrics will initially be limited to points of contact, after a while you will most likely be soaked. Or at least that's how I work. No wonder-material has ever done anything to help. I'm pretty fit (10 km in 42 minutes running, resting pulse 52) but still get sweaty from wearing big packs. Maybe there's something wrong with me? :D

Just see which pack fits you best. Be sure to try them on loaded.

To reduce strain, and hence conserve energy and water choose as light pack as you can. You won't need military specs on a pack for normal backcountry trips. You can see my review of my current favorite pack here

I would go for a 75 liter pack.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi twdi,

Firstly I don't have a Karrimor (PRI) Rucksack with coolmesh straps and a back system.

I do have a nice 30 ltr climbing pack made by One Planet

Vertex1.jpg

This uses a mesh fabric of similar type to the Karrimor ( PRI) products, on the hipbelt and lumbar pad. I cannot say I've noticed it improves breatheability in that area... I did notice it pick up pine needles and other bush floor debris and snow likes to stick to it..

The LA Sting is as comfy as a Berghaus Vulcan ( of the correct size). I get a sweaty back with both and all of the other packs I own TBH. Some folk are more sweaty than others I guess that just down to personal make up, fitness level and how hard you are working. Big Swede is right carrying a big pack will make you sweat regardless of the back system or fabric used. However you do get that 'cold chill' of satisfaction when you take off a big pack at you destination and the sweat starts to evaporate. :)

A Sting or a Saracen are worthy competitors to a Sabre 45.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
If I would buy a new pack today, I would look into the crux brand. Light, tough and simple. Basically all I want from a rucksack.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
never found much difference in the straps which are breathable.

but the bags with a tensioned mesh that keeps the bag away from your back make a huge difference I find.

twdi

Mar 8, 2010
Netherlands
Yes, that should also a plus that the back is a bit more away from your back.

I'm currently a member of the national guard that why i want to combine the back with military usage. I'm tempting to the karrimor's. They are a bit cheaper too then the LA's.
\That's why I have doubts...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Yes, that should also a plus that the back is a bit more away from your back.

I'm currently a member of the national guard that why i want to combine the back with military usage. I'm tempting to the karrimor's. They are a bit cheaper too then the LA's.
\That's why I have doubts...

No. The distance between the back and pack has nothing to do with how much sweat you produce. It's the strain that produces sweat and the strain will be the same regardless of distance. The old thesis about frame packs being less sweaty is just a myth. I have tried it myself and a lot of outdoor people agree. See my review for details.

The only difference, as I said, is that initially the sweat penetrating thru fabric will be limited to the points of contact between the rucksack and the back. But after a while the sweat produced by the strain of carrying a rucksack will come thru nomatter what.

Let me say it once more. It's not the pack that produces sweat, it is the activity of carrying it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE