Coolest Tree Survey

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Thought it would be rather nice (and hopefully non uncontroversial) to find out what tree is “hot” for you? You don’t have to give any particular reason just name it.

Here’s mine:

FALSE ACACIA Robina pseudoacacia
false_acacia3-1.jpg

false_acacia2.jpg

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I like Cedars.

I think VanGogh liked painting them because they look painted by VanGoch if you see what I mean, which is why I like them!?? :confused: :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
jdlenton said:
I'm a cedar man too but cedar of lebanon i love the way the limbs sprawl

Don't like them because I had to park my car under one for 6 months... Covered in Pigeon poo and the big cones actually left a couple of dings when they dropped!

My favourite has to be the good old oak. Solid, dependable, good for burning, good for construction, good for climbing. If only it had Toblerone as fruit instead of acorns...

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Blimey...picking a favourite tree is what id imagine answering the question "pick your favourite child" feels like. So many trees, all with amazing features and characteristics special in their own right.

Although if Oaks had toberlones instead of acorns then I'd have to agree with Ilovemybed. :D

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The humble birch.

Beautiful with and without leaves and useful to.

Having said that I have a stand of white popular at the bottom of my garden and I love the sound of the wind blowing through the leaves and way the leaves change from green to silver as the wind catches them

david

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
andyn said:
Blimey...picking a favourite tree is what id imagine answering the question "pick your favourite child" feels like. So many trees, all with amazing features and characteristics special in their own right.

Although if Oaks had toberlones instead of acorns then I'd have to agree with Ilovemybed. :D

Quite right. I’m basing my choice simply on what I perceive as the one with the most pleasing shape/countenance.

White Elf

Jun 27, 2006
Surrey
I think my favourite is Hawthorn.

Tasty leaves and flowers in spring, not to mention the fantastic smell, and lovely berries in Autumn. Just about to make my first attempt at a haw & crab apple chutney, supposed to taste great with cheese :D

It used to be said that the blossoming of the may tree announced the true arrival of spring. :)

I like oaks too :)

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
One can't go wrong with the oak me thinks. It's just the king of our native trees! Closely seconded by the ash and scots pine. I dont think I could ever truly pick a favourite though which is why I grow them all!

Other than that, for pure beauty I'd go for eucalyptus. When they're mature theyre beautiful!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Douglas Fir. My reason (s) Grows quite quick so can be used in my lifetime, lasts outside quite well without treatment ,is classed as a structural timber and finally ...Looks good too.
Swyn.
PS Lets you know if your tools are blunt or are working it badly!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
redflex said:
Fraxinus excelsior (Ash) - Just brings back thoughts places, plus many other reason, just cool tree to me. Love looking through the canopy of a mature ash the sky and light just makes me smile.
I'd have to agree with that. To me ash trees look like they've escaped from an impressionist painting. I'm never quite sure which type of Ash is my favourite (possibly angustifolia?) but they're all very lovely, particularly the ones near the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London (OK and all the other ones too).

There's also a fantastic Indian bean tree in Lewisham.

Jo

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hazel every time, not only for the look of it, but for the protecting it gives, the hedges it makes, the timber for building and making barrels, the fine branches make fishing baskets and creels, hampers, barrel hoops, walking sticks, fishing rods, whip-handles. The nuts have a dozens of uses; they are the food for many wild animals like squirrels, dormice, and some birds like the nut-hatchers. I (we) like to eat the nuts, either raw or pressing them for oil, and of course adding them to chocolate. To go with your relaxing chocolate, what about some music, of course played on hazel whistle or a tune played on a fiddle with a hazel bow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE