Cool!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's fun to watch. Thanks for the link. Moose can pick up quite a tick load and they drown them in the lake.
What we call "horse flies" are meat eaters and will test your sanity in minutes.
Even the bears stay in the water to avoid them.

Our lily pads grow up from a slightly buried horizontal stem like structure as thick as your arm.
Moose and beaver dig those up, no more than 3-5' of water.
The stems look edible but I've never considered eating any.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hard to imagine anything less than a fish staying under water long enough to drown ticks but I guess they can. That's good to hear.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They eat like this in lakes too.

Magnificent animal.
That's why I said it's hard to imagine drowning a tick. I doubt if an hour would do it once they've attached. At that point they have their heads buried in blood

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Going off on a tangent now, but an old trick was to smear fat 9 drippings or butter) on the tick. Takes a long time ( never measured) .

I hope that bull will have an excellent sex life in the future. Good genes worthy of spreading!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's a nice bull but still in velvet so I say maybe late August.
Rack size tells me he isn't 10 years old yet.
Consistent Mortality here, max age in Region 7 where I live is 19 years.

They stay in the water all day, just their heads out, when the flies are really bad.
Back bays are full of lily pads to munch on. In one end and out the other.

Up in the Peace River country (north eastern British Columbia) some winter kill moose and deer are just dripping with ticks like grapes.
Neglected horses get that way, too.

Never squeeze an embedded tick. You must get the barbed beak out before they can vomit up arbovirus.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE