Cooking on top of Kelly Kettle

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have been wondering about this for a while now, Has anyone built/designed a device to do this, similar to the photograph attached.
VolcanoKettleCookingRing2.jpg

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I like the idea of the Kelly Kettle accessory, I would only question whether it is high enough to get the optimum heat from the flame. can someone please remind me which part of the flame is the hottest? :rolleyes:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The amount of heat vented from the top of a Kelly Kettle would be ample to cook on, but I have my reservations about doing so.
As anyone witha Kelly knows, when they boil, they boil pretty ferociusly. A full kettle made to boil will result in boiling water bubbling out of the spout with some force. A kettle less than full will result in the water being boilled away in a pretty short space of time. Because of the "flue" effect of the design the fire in a Kelly burns pretty hot. As Kelly Kettles are made from very thin spun aluminium I wouldn't want to risk having one lit for more tham a minute without water in it. Burning the kettle dry would, in my opinion, very quickly lead to a melted or split kettle.
As cooking times tend to be far longer than the time it takes a Kelly to boil it's contents of water, how would you propose to keep the heat going for long enough without damaging the kettle?

Another thing that would bother me is the issue of stability. I have both the large and the small Kelly Kettle and love them, but I know how unstable they can prove to be if not really well bedded in to softer ground or put on a very level firm surface. The idea of balancing a pan full of cooking on top of the kettle (especially if the kettle were empty of water that would add weight and a little stability) is not one that appeals to me at all.
If someone can prove that a Kelly is safe to burn dry, and show an easy way to be certain that it's stable enough, I too would be looking for something like that pan holder!

I was in contact with the Kelly Kettle Co. some while ago and discussed with them the possiblity of several ideas including a Stainless Steel version (which would be safe to burn "dry", and that of a water bottle that fitted perfectly into the void inside the kettle when it is packed away.
Apart from the usual "Oh, we're already looking at those ideas" sort of :censored: reply I got no further with them. Nor have I seen any evidence that they took any of the ideas on-board.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
To stop it boiling away so fast could you not use lower calorie fuel to make it burn cooler. Possibly green wood rather than dead wood with possibly a handful of leaflitter thrown in for good measure?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I heartily agree with the points Longstrider made, the Kelly, Eco-kettle and Thermette all boil way too fast to make useful stoves for cooking on top of.

The thermette comes with a ring that fits on the top to stick a pan on which also fits on the base. Its awkward to carry as it does not fit arround the kettle, although I could cut it down the side and rely in its spingyness to keep its shape, along with the lip on the kettle it fits inside of when in use...

Far better in my opinion to wait the few minutes they take to boil and then remove the kettle from its burning bowl/heath/whatevever which can be easily rigged to be full of hot embers (normally I feed the Thermette in such a way that the fires starting to die as it comes to the boil but its easy to end up with a bowl full of fire you don't need) and then slap on any burning ring/pot stand and then cook. It's a lot more stable and you don't risk being scolded.

The grill with the Eco-kettle isn't much cop as its too low when dropped straight onto the burning bowl, I haven't got the Kelly pan set so can't comment.

ATB

Tom

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Kelly Kettles are just one manufacturer out of the group of volcano kettle makers. Some of those kettles are made from aluminum (Eydon/Storm, Kelly, Unbeaten Tracks), copper (Thermette), galvanized steel (Thermette, probably Malleys) and stainless steel (Aussie Bush Kettle). Kelly and Eydon produce in Europe, Malley´s (anyone knows what happened to them?) were made in Australia, Aussie Bush Kettle comes from Australia and Thermette is based in NZ. Wonder why there´s no manufacturer in the US who offers a volcano kettle made from titanium

As for cooking on top of a 1pt. Kelly Kettle: I´ve made a small device (different and more expensive than the one offered by Kelly now) that holds the pot/ pan on the chimney and use it only with a filled kettle. Most important was to find a way on how to proceed:
1. boil water in the kettle as usual, pour hot water in pot add rice to it, cover pot, put covered pot in pot cozy.
2. prepare vegetables, meat, fish etc.
3. refill kettle with cold water
4. refill fuel chamber, get fire going
5. place kettle on top of fire base
6. place pot on top of kettle

Out of experience the vegetables, meat, fish etc. is ready when the second load of water boils.
One could also refill a hot kettle, the spout is big enough for refills from standard water bottles.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
This is how mine is done i use a Jeffy heat stove alcohol its like a trangia not as hi a little less round on. Top it was a wire stand for tea lite candles cut& bend to fit on a half oz. alcohol it will boil in the kettle the pan on top will just got hot also take the bottom off i got a cross piece to fit the stove and can just use that and it all fits inside the kettle plus a fuel bottle [ p. s. 3/4 oz. fuel will boil both]

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Longstrider said:
As cooking times tend to be far longer than the time it takes a Kelly to boil it's contents of water, how would you propose to keep the heat going for long enough without damaging the kettle?

I have cooked countless times over a kelly and as long as you keep the fuel and water levels reasonable there is no problem. I have found that a pot suspended from a hanger a few inches above the flame works a treat and cook amazingly fast. The trick is to carefully add water as you go.
I am repeating myself from a previous thread here but the main thing to watch out for is to never add water to a kettle that has boiled dry. I did so last year and the result was instant disintegration of the inner liner of my pride and joy :(

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
I wonder what would happen to those stainless steel Australian "Aussie Bush Kettles" aka "Eco-Billy"" (they are made in 2 sizes btw.) if used in a bad way (boiled dry).
Experience anyone?

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Longstrider said:
The amount of heat vented from the top of a Kelly Kettle would be ample to cook on, but I have my reservations about doing so.
As anyone witha Kelly knows, when they boil, they boil pretty ferociusly. A full kettle made to boil will result in boiling water bubbling out of the spout with some force. A kettle less than full will result in the water being boilled away in a pretty short space of time. Because of the "flue" effect of the design the fire in a Kelly burns pretty hot. As Kelly Kettles are made from very thin spun aluminium I wouldn't want to risk having one lit for more tham a minute without water in it. Burning the kettle dry would, in my opinion, very quickly lead to a melted or split kettle.

All good points. Never have a fire going without water in the kettle.
Read my other post: it takes a system on how and what you´re cooking. It´s just making music in an orchestra, all have to follow the line otherwise it´s a desaster. Same with KK cooking - find out the amount of fuel needed and by no means take more.
No.1 rule for good food: patience

Another thing that would bother me is the issue of stability. I have both the large and the small Kelly Kettle and love them, but I know how unstable they can prove to be if not really well bedded in to softer ground or put on a very level firm surface. The idea of balancing a pan full of cooking on top of the kettle (especially if the kettle were empty of water that would add weight and a little stability) is not one that appeals to me at all.
If someone can prove that a Kelly is safe to burn dry, and show an easy way to be certain that it's stable enough, I too would be looking for something like that pan holder!

sure it works, took some engineering ....
How much (money to get one, money to get the materials/tools to make one, extra weight, time for set up, time to make it yourself, ) would you invest?

I was in contact with the Kelly Kettle Co. some while ago and discussed with them the possiblity of several ideas including a Stainless Steel version (which would be safe to burn "dry", and that of a water bottle that fitted perfectly into the void inside the kettle when it is packed away.
Apart from the usual "Oh, we're already looking at those ideas" sort of :censored: reply I got no further with them. Nor have I seen any evidence that they took any of the ideas on-board.

I too thought of sharing some ideas with them but concluded it was just not worth the time (most companies are careful about inventions from a third party - probably they have to be that way due to possible legal conflicts) and made the parts myself

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE