Cooking Apples - Glut!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Going to have a small mountain of Cooking apples.

I can turn some into stew and stick in the freezer but what else can I do with them??

I was wondering if there is any alcoholic inspired Cooking apple concoction I can make - I'm not willing to get normal apples to balance it out but am prepared to make something a bit off the wall.

Reactions: Le Loup

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Do you have any idea what variety they are? Some cookers are sweeter than others and may make a passable scrumpy.

It's also worth carefully picking some decent looking apples and storing them in a tray cool if you have anywhere. Many cookers will easily store until Christmas and some well into next year. Just check them over from time to time and don't store any which are bruised or damaged in any way.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you make a cider with them (doesn't matter how sweet or dry) then distil it you'll get a kind of calvados. I've rarely succeeded in producing what I consider to be a good cider but the calvados was quite acceptable :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you make a cider with them (doesn't matter how sweet or dry) then distil it you'll get a kind of calvados. I've rarely succeeded in producing what I consider to be a good cider but the calvados was quite acceptable :)

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Don't trow any cores and peel away. This can be made into pectin for jam making . Great grandma made apple peel jelly which was eaten on toast.
Chutney is another option
I've just made blackcurrant jam and I have some apples to be made into chutney. The first blackberries have appeared so they will go into a crumble with some of the apples the rest to chutney. I'm hoping to be juicing some which I will then bottle and sterilise in a water bath for a pleasant apple juice for later in the year.
Apple butter and apple pie filling both frozen and canned.
apple season is full on for my store cupboard!

Reactions: Allison McKenzie
Going to have a small mountain of Cooking apples.

I can turn some into stew and stick in the freezer but what else can I do with them??

I was wondering if there is any alcoholic inspired Cooking apple concoction I can make - I'm not willing to get normal apples to balance it out but am prepared to make something a bit off the wall.
You could try drying them TeeDee.
Dried-Apple-002-REDUCED.jpg

We dry ours which can be eaten as are dried, or added to pies & deserts. A good way of preserving them with little effort.
Regards, Keith.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are these apples big enough to take advantage of a peeler/corer machine?
If so, I'd cooking a large quantity of apple pie filling. 850g will cook in a 9" dish and
you won't see any boil-over at all. So freez units of filling.

I would like to cook down another pile and mash just enough to break the skins.
Grape tannin, yeast nutrient, and sugar to see SG= 1.095. Almost a champagne yeast variety.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE