Cook your dinner and charge your gadgets at the same time...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No I usually don't take a phone. If you can get a signal, you ain't really in the woods. On the oher hand a GPS and a CB or Ham radio are quite different.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hey Paul - slight hijack here, but sorta relevant I think!

I'm getting the impression from a number of sources that the Biolite is fine re charging purposes if you're using woodpellets, but somewhat unreliable in terms of output with twigs, and will also need constant feeding to maintain any net output to the charger.

However, if you separated the charging element from the cooker body, and stuck the sticky-out bit through a breather-hole in the Kifaru stove or similar, would it provide a constant output (assuming the stove is on!). Or would it just melt the plastics?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Apparently these were getting purchased in NY after Sandy so people can power their phones.

Here is another alternative, that is just a pot with a TEG in the base.

https://www.thepowerpot.com

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hey Paul - slight hijack here, but sorta relevant I think!

I'm getting the impression from a number of sources that the Biolite is fine re charging purposes if you're using woodpellets, but somewhat unreliable in terms of output with twigs, and will also need constant feeding to maintain any net output to the charger.

However, if you separated the charging element from the cooker body, and stuck the sticky-out bit through a breather-hole in the Kifaru stove or similar, would it provide a constant output (assuming the stove is on!). Or would it just melt the plastics?

I would think it will need some modding but the theory is sound. The plastic housing is insulated where the element goes through the stove wall but only on the element. dont forget the stove is dual walled too and the fan also help cool it. A kifaru will get extremely hot on the single skin walls when its in full burn. some ceramic wool might do the trick.

20121106_155322.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
but if your phone has gps you have a multi use tool and dont need a signal. offline mapping and away you go.

LOL. Probably true but my phone is pretty basic. Don't really want the gadgets on it per se; I'd rather keep it just a com device.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
In the context of real wilderness travel I thought it a good piece of kit to have, as long as you have a fuel source of course.

More likely to be of real use than a solar charger too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Apparently these were getting purchased in NY after Sandy so people can power their phones....

I suppose it's possible but it seems more likely they'd plug the cell phones into the car's power port. At any rate the cell phone services were down due to loss of infrastructure for a good while (not unusual after a major hurricane)

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I would think it will need some modding but the theory is sound. The plastic housing is insulated where the element goes through the stove wall but only on the element. dont forget the stove is dual walled too and the fan also help cool it. A kifaru will get extremely hot on the single skin walls when its in full burn. some ceramic wool might do the trick.

20121106_155322.jpg

Hmmm - thoughts! Maybe some carbon felt? And isn't the fan in the body of the plastic bit, not the stove - so it might still produce a bit of cooling. My love of shinies tells me to get a Biolite, my head says it can't justify itrself! Maybe the pot mentioned above is a better idea for what I'd use it for...

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hmmm - thoughts! Maybe some carbon felt? And isn't the fan in the body of the plastic bit, not the stove - so it might still produce a bit of cooling. My love of shinies tells me to get a Biolite, my head says it can't justify itrself! Maybe the pot mentioned above is a better idea for what I'd use it for...

Why not get yourself a thermoelectric generator, small heat sink and a fan. You could then put this in any gasifier stove. Also rock wool would do the trick for insulation too!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yep fan is in the orange where the square hole is. the pot is interesting but an external connector attached to a pot going on a fire gives me concerns. Bottom line with the biolite is its great on pellets and bone dry wood but struggles on damp fuel.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
i'm guessing that's the post-hurricane aftermath, where wind has gone, but so too has the electricity grid........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE