Container Homes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I bought my first house 20 years ago and it had electric storage heaters on economy 7 tariff. A few winters in we started getting a few really cold winters for North Lancashire. This meant all heat in the heaters had gone well before 9pm. I'd be sat with my feet up, warmer than on the ground, wearing three socks, thermal longjohns under my jeans, two jumpers, at least one winter weight base layer and a padded lumberjack style shirt. Oh and a hat, scarfs and gloves. Then you made sure you got changed and into bed in seconds before you cooled down so quickly.

Then single glazing meant condensation and sheets of ice on the inside at the bottom. You got up after warming your clothes in your bed. I've even got dressed under the duvet. On cold nights I used a sleeping bag under my duvet. Once up the vents are opened on the storage heaters. Last thing before leaving for work I closed the vents. Trying vainly to keep the heat in the heavy blocks that stored the heat.

Eventually I got a family loan to put in central heating. A+++ rated boiler and radiators. Heaven with a lot lower heating costs. Years later A+10 rated double glazing and costs dropped more as the radiators were only warm for about 15 to 30 minutes when I got home and the house kept warm so the radiators didn't come on again.

People really don't realise there's many for whom heating in winter is beyond their budget. People survive a lot even now, but I suspect older generations think they were the last to live in cold houses and difficult decisions I reckon.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I had storage heating untill a couple of years ago. Now have an air source heat pump that works like a reverse fridge. It's lovely as it kicks in whenever it goes below a certain temp. You can also regulate each heater so I can set each room to a different warmth rating if I am not using a room in can shut it off and keep the rad just ticking it over on low.
So much better than storage heaters that had always lost their heat just when you settled down for the evening meaning the fire had to be lit to make sure it was warm enough to sit.
The kitchen was always chilly.
Now I can keep the temperature at a fairly constant rate all over the house. Not too hot and an even temp all day and night. Even in the kitchen. Bliss!
Central heating if it works properly can be such a boon if you get it right. Especially as you get older.
Like I said I can still find it overwhelming at times, but I realy don't want to go back to freezing myself silly in the winter. I took it when younger as I knew no better. Then I got used to being cold.. but be assured I never enjoyed it!
I think i have the best of it with my current system.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There’s an entire industry around prefab housing now. They’re called either “house trailers” or “mobile homes.” The latter name is the preferred industry term but the most misleading as most of them have the wheels removed when they’reset up and anchored and rarely move again Particulars the double or triple wide ones.

Obviously the mass market of high end ones are not what we’re discussing here for homeless. Fortunately I have seen the niche types made on a more basic model just for temporary relief after natural disasters. Basics being:
-Kitchen
-Full bath and toilet
-Two or three bedrooms (this could be changed for homeless but the market this far is for families left homeless by storm, fires, etc)
-Heat and air conditioning (y’all could likely skip the AC requirement)
-Insulation on a par with the commercial market.

The basic one have a few advantages in both cost and the mobility to quickly transport to the next emergency site. The disadvantage is that like permanent houses they get more expensive as the quality goes up.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't think we can get to one without at least risking the other. I've been following some Youtube of the Homeless situation stateside - Namely L.A. Be it tents or Steel containers both situations require intervention and aide.
Intervention isn’t as easy as just providing housing (although the cost means that part isn’t truly easy either) I’ve known more than one homeless person and they usually resist being helped. Some out of misplaced pride, others out of a difficulty following rules. One lady in particular (she was and is a personal friend and a member of my Church) has close family members she could live with bu refuses. She’s been enrolled in a few local homeless shelters but always leaves because of her inability to follow the rules (I did say she “leaves” and that’s always been her decision, not having been asked to leave) She’s been offered public assistance to find her own home where there would be no rules beyond the obvious of not wrecking the place but her pride doesn’t allow her to accept it. For a while we had a priest that had the patience and personality to get close enough to her on a personal level to convince her to accept some aid but there just aren’t enough people like him to accamodate all the homeless and a great proportion of them have the same mental blocks as she does

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I was interested in container homes but came to the result that they are expensive and too heavy to carry them around.

Large construction trailers are the better base for tiny house constructions for private use.

Modern construction trailers have a metal fassade working like the outer wall of a double wall tent, condensation water can fall on the ground / earth.
The inner construction can be insulated and made as a comfortable wooden box.
You get a wooden house on wheels, protected by a well working metal fassade.

I still fitted out a small construction trailer and it's pretty comfortable but relatively complicated to heat with a small wood stove, because they are constructed for larger rooms. In my opinion it would be easier to keep a nice temperature if the trailer would be larger, as large as possible. This would also allow to integrate shower and (camping) kitchen.
Such a home can be easily displaced by every friendly farmer with his tractor. To displace a container home you need an expensive big lorry.

I think for the price of a used over sea container in good conditions you get a good used construction trailer and on top of it all and everything you need to fit it out in a nice way with real pine wood boards, wood oven, patrol or gas stove and all you can imagine, and everything in the best quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Intervention isn’t as easy as just providing housing (although the cost means that part isn’t truly easy either) I’ve known more than one homeless person and they usually resist being helped. Some out of misplaced pride, others out of a difficulty following rules. One lady in particular (she was and is a personal friend and a member of my Church) has close family members she could live with bu refuses. She’s been enrolled in a few local homeless shelters but always leaves because of her inability to follow the rules (I did say she “leaves” and that’s always been her decision, not having been asked to leave) She’s been offered public assistance to find her own home where there would be no rules beyond the obvious of not wrecking the place but her pride doesn’t allow her to accept it. For a while we had a priest that had the patience and personality to get close enough to her on a personal level to convince her to accept some aid but there just aren’t enough people like him to accamodate all the homeless and a great proportion of them have the same mental blocks as she does

Maybe there is a difference between those that are Homeless in the same way that there is a difference between those that enter the Penal system.

From what I understand yes, once someone has lived on the streets for a period of time they can form that Institutionalisation of not accepting help , being scared of change etc in the same way a prisoner can be reluctant to embrace the prospect of freedom and liberty.

If we could furnish an option to those that are relatively 'new' to being homeless ( especially the young ) and get them back into the working life system at an early point into their homeless journey I think that would at least stem the situational bleed from society.

You are correct , you cannot change the mental reluctance in some to get them off of the streets but that would be looking for a Perfect plan whilst I would happily accept a Good plan and on that matter I tend to agree with General Patton.

Its about helping as many of those that request , require and accept help as opposed to herding them into some system that they are reluctant to embrace.

I recently had someone come and stay with me for 3 days ( just as break from their current situation ) who I feel would benefit from such a scenario if accommodation was available and accessible.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wasn't it interesting though; just how fast every homeless person in the UK was given some kind of housing, with bathroom/kitchen facitilites, when the pandemic lock down began ? I know many were in hotels that weren't being used, and that there were issues with asylum seekers being moved very suddenly, but they were all housed and not out on the streets.
Perhaps not ideal, but it shows that it can be done if the will, intent and funding is made available.

M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In a cool climate a steel container is ok as the steel acts as a vapor barrier quite well. A few window openings do not really affect the structure, they are designed to stack eight high fully loaded. In very warm climate a double barrier design probably would work best (depending if there is air conditioning).

I have designed prefabricated modular houses both as space modules and large panels, matter of taste. A space module can be readily installed in hours and be ready to live as everything can be tested at factory, it works but the size and shape of the house has some limitations. Properly done it often is better made than a site built one.

SIPS panels are ok, one has to know what to do with them, std builders often do not.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Wasn't it interesting though; just how fast every homeless person in the UK was given some kind of housing, with bathroom/kitchen facitilites, when the pandemic lock down began ? I know many were in hotels that weren't being used, and that there were issues with asylum seekers being moved very suddenly, but they were all housed and not out on the streets.
Perhaps not ideal, but it shows that it can be done if the will, intent and funding is made available.

M

Yes , it does show its possible if someone is prepared to foot the bill quickly and businesses are willing to accept what I can only believe are special and sub-market rates. Its obviously only one part of the puzzle to get people back into the societal 'norm' ( Sorry , I can't think of another word ) and stopping them escalating a certain life path needs a paying work placement to facilitate that.

We must acknowledge what I believe made that possible was the very unique situation of the Pandemic.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

M

I do wonder what happens when society starts back to 'normal'. Do they just kick them back out?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe there is a difference between those that are Homeless in the same way that there is a difference between those that enter the Penal system.

From what I understand yes, once someone has lived on the streets for a period of time they can form that Institutionalisation of not accepting help , being scared of change etc in the same way a prisoner can be reluctant to embrace the prospect of freedom and liberty.

If we could furnish an option to those that are relatively 'new' to being homeless ( especially the young ) and get them back into the working life system at an early point into their homeless journey I think that would at least stem the situational bleed from society.

You are correct , you cannot change the mental reluctance in some to get them off of the streets but that would be looking for a Perfect plan whilst I would happily accept a Good plan and on that matter I tend to agree with General Patton.

Its about helping as many of those that request , require and accept help as opposed to herding them into some system that they are reluctant to embrace.

I recently had someone come and stay with me for 3 days ( just as break from their current situation ) who I feel would benefit from such a scenario if accommodation was available and accessible.
Well, sorta. Yes some do become institutionalized (although that word isn’t quite the a good choice) I say “sorta” because I think the chronic homeless have less people who were institutionalized and more for whom the early interventions acted more as a filter: in other words those early interventions worked for those who were socially adaptable but were agravated those who weren’t.

M
I’m not overly familiar with the details but as a couple of posters have already pointed out, it seems the next problem is going to be the sustainability. Much like over here after a natural disaster. Aid pours in immediately after the event but long term recovery is less reliable.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I mean the word refers to people coming to only be able to function within the institution. The chronic homeless have the opposite problem: they can’t function within the institutions that try to help them. I hope that makes sense.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I mean the word refers to people coming to only be able to function within the institution. The chronic homeless have the opposite problem: they can’t function within the institutions that try to help them. I hope that makes sense.

Ok, I meant more in the mental state of Homelessness BEING the institution that they , after staying in it for time , can no longer easily break back out of. I maybe wrong.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE