Confusion!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
What is the difference between a young hogweed and parsnips? I feel like I have been misidentifying these things for months now. :confused:
Do parsnips even grow in waysides?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The top and bottom pictures look like cow parsley where as the middle one looks like Alexanders.

Thanks for the effort mate, but I'm confident the pictures are all the same species, and I dare say they're not cow parsley, because the leaves in the middle picture don't add up. There is cow parsley growing right beside it though. If it's of any help, there are tiny hairs covering the whole stem.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thanks for the effort mate, but I'm confident the pictures are all the same species, and I dare say they're not cow parsley, because the leaves in the middle picture don't add up. There is cow parsley growing right beside it though. If it's of any help, there are tiny hairs covering the whole stem.
It wasn't any effort. Your confusion may come from 2 different plants.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'll post some better pictures tomorrow, I'm afraid these still don't make clear what a special and hopefully undiscovered plant I found:)
Until then, I'm gonna stick to a cow parsley-hogweed hybrid. :p

Any determinations of the species are most welcome!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd be going with hog weed too. Does it give off an aroma of wet stable straw when you crush the stem... That's what hog weed smells like to me. Agree the leaves do look rounder in the second picture than you'd expect from hog weed but other than that the other images looks like hogweed.

Orric

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That looks like hogweed to me, and hogweed is edible anyway. it is giant hogweed that is nasty.

However, there are several very nasty umbellifers, especially the water dropworts, so the usual foraging rules apply: if you don't know precisely what it is, dopn't eat it.

Parsnip has yellow flowers, as has been stated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE