compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Interesting but I would have thought it has more to do with the orientation of the stratified layers within the rock (presuming it is sedimentary). If it is a conglomerate I guess it could split any way like this? but then they would tend to be harder rocks less prone to splitting like this I would have thought. Any geologists?. Still, something to add to the check list.

I would have thought more accurate would be a 'shadow stick' during the day and using the stars at night given there is little cloud generally in the desert.

Nicely illustrated guide to these, and some other methods here:

Navigation using sticks, stones and the stars

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
This would only work if there is little or no chance of ice or water and a large temperature differential between night and day. I would also suggest that the rocks would have to have a low metal content. Water and ice have numerous other methods of cracking rock and you would need a rock with low thermal conductivity.

Greg

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
I have seen this a number of times, while on exercise in Arizona, however i have never noticed all splits to fall along the N/S axis.

But you never know, worth more research maybe.....?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE