Compass or GPS watch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I am looking at getting a new watch for wearing during outdoor activities. I started looking around and was amazed at the features available on some of the watches for less than £100.
First things first, I need it to tell the time and be visible night and day but apart from that I am open to suggestions.

Has anyone got experience of either the GPS watches or compass watches and are they accurate and easy to use.

Thanks in advance

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've had a Suunto Vector for about 10 years, or since they first came on the market. The features I use (as a Mountain Leader and MR volunteer) most (other then telling the time) are the stop watch and altimeter and only then if its a day I need to navigate. I don't think I've ever used the compass although perhaps it would be useful in a different wilderness environment (desert ?). I would still prefer a real baseplate compass and would only have it as an emergency back up. Fundamentally in my mind if you need to use a compass then the conditions warrant a proper tool that can be used to take bearings and held in the hand to walk on those bearings. The stop watch and altimeter are adjuncts to assist you in reaching that destination safely, the watch compass plays no part.
My boss has a GPS watch and likes it, again it does what it says on the tin and gives you an accurate position which is always handy in poor conditions. I prefer the hand held GPS units with visible mapping but they do make you a bit lazy with your navigation. I like the Suunto watches but there has been some threads in the past about poor customer service. I think they have the lions share of the market though.
Personally I would spend the money on a navigation training course from a respected provider then reconsider your requirements.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I'd go for a GPS watch over a compass watch if I had to choose.

I had a Casio Protrek (sp?) watch with compass function. It was a pain in the behind. The compass was not that accurate or easy to read. All the worse as you had to regularly calibrate it against a magnetic compass. It was OK for giving you a general indication of North but was no more reliable/accurate than a £14 Sunnito clip on compass you could attach to your watch strap.

A GPS watch (or possibly a dedicated wrist worn GPS like the Garmon Fortrex) would be a better option. Digital compass and coordinates down to a couple of meters.

All that being said, electronic devices can go wrong. I find paper or laminated maps with a moderately priced magnetic compass to be more reliable and fun.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've had both a suunto gps and a pro trek Casio, I use a suunto Core now but as mentioned, I rarely use or used either function!
Bear in mind that gps watches suck battery life when being used, as in a few hours, and need an open sky for receiving they're not hugely practical. compasses are accurate but not for day to day nav. more for an emergency direction.
My honest opinion, if you can afford a gps watch save the cash and buy a purpose built gps unit - much better for using, display size and battery. Sat map has my vote every time so far.

My tuppence worth!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I wear a Pro Trek PRG 60T most of the time, I occasionally use the compass but not for out door navigation. I check it fairly often and it's pretty accurate. I use the barometer more often. I wear it because of the occasional use of the other functions but mostly because it is the only one they have ever made that has hands and a full display, it's solar powered and titanium so very tough and never needs a battery change. You could get other models used for £100 if you look around and I am sure they are all good.
They haven't made it for a coupe of years now and I have bought a spare I like it that much. I do have Garmin Fenix 3 which is great for helping with training, heart monitoring, multi sports etc and a pretty good smart watch but with GPS on normal use you get 20 hours or 50 hours in power saving (Which is all you need for hiking/walking). The watch lasts 5 weeks on a charge.
As an aside I use paper maps like everyone else, when I can, but a lot of the time I find a few hours when away with work unexpectedly or even an overnight and for that I am not too proud to use a phone. I have the whole country at 25K which would take up a lot of room in the car :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use a Garmin Fenix 1 and it's a great tool. The battery life could be extended quite easily by modifying the satellite update rate and breadcrumb drop etc. It's a very good watch but needs to be explored to get the best out of it. It's also a full on altimeter and barometer. The altimeter and compass are pretty accurate and I've used them for navigation with no concerns. You should be able to get a Garmin Fenix 1 relatively cheaply as the there have been a few iterations since. You can do your planning on a few apps/websites and export the route's data and then transfer it to the watch as back up.
As a day to day watch I'm using my apple watch. View ranger has an app which when a route is planned into the app on your phone will give you course to steer etc but it's very heavy on battery both for your phone and your watch. Not many other outdoorsy features on the apple watch at the minute.
The Fenix I'd recommend but as I said you need to explore the watch and its settings and menus to get the best from it. This guy does some great reviews and I see he's up to date on the newer Fenix models.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/?s=fenix

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have an $18 cell 'phone which is also a watch and stop watch and GPS. Free apps from Google maps (for road use) and Backpacker magazine (for trails) work perfectly. s pointed out below, running GPS full time uses up battery charge quickly.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
p.s. phone is a kyocera 3g smart(ish) phone. I also carry a Silva compass at all times together with paper maps as they are more reliable than GPS.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have a Suunto Vector which I thought was the business. However, the altimeter was not particularly accurate, the compass was almost unusable for accurate applications in mountainous/wilderness terrain, the alarm was far too quiet and failed to wake me at all and it was battery powered - something that just doesn't get my vote, I'm afraid. Now, it sits, unused and most definitely unloved in a drawer.

As has been suggested, get a dedicated GPS, if you must; better still, get a decent compass and a map of the area you're going to explore and navigate, 'old style': your batteries won't fail you, because there are none, and you'll have the intellectual satisfaction of being able to find your own way rather than relying on the vagaries of partially reliable electronic gizmos.

Just a thought.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I agree with much of what's been said here. A good compass is a tremendous aid. I don't think you're likely to get one in anything resembling a wristwatch.

An accurate watch is a very valuable naviagational tool, but mainly because it can tell you your longitude if you know what you're doing.

See for example this outstanding work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emergency-Navigation-2nd-Edition-No-Instrument/dp/0071481842

I have a copy of this, and also of its two-volume predecessor which you can get second hand for a couple of quid. I can't rate them highly enough. Buy them before you buy that watch.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

But a very good thought. When I bought the 'phone I had no idea it was a gps and had hundreds (or thousands) of other apps, so getting the GPS maps made sense. I have used GPS for many years when sailing, and there it really is invaluable, and reliable with an onboard power source. For hiking however, battery drain and tree coverage of most of the mountains I hike make GPS a secondary tool at best. . I must admit, that if I was having to traverse something like Crib Goch or Cader Idris in the (usual) v heavy fog, I would like to be able to switch on my GPS check where I was.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Batteries for 'smart phones' are cheap enough to buy, nothing stopping you carrying a few. My daughter was at the Reading festival and one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-...obile-Phone-/321500138916?hash=item4adae6cda4 kept her Note 4 and a friends S6 going for three nights/four days.

'I am looking at getting a new watch for wearing during outdoor activities. I started looking around and was amazed at the features available on some of the watches for less than £100.
First things first, I need it to tell the time and be visible night and day but apart from that I am open to suggestions
'

Just my opinion but I'd keep the watch simple and reliable and use a phone for GPS et al.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timex-T49...-Band-Watch-/201392464147?hash=item2ee3ed2113 I've been using these for years, superb battery life and the Indiglo back light system is fantastic, its blue and won't destroy your night vision.

Always carry a map and compass, you can pick up a Silva compass for about twenty quid, money well spent.

There you go, my pennies worth.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Thanks for all the replies.
After reading the comments and doing a little more research I have decided I am better off buying a watch that is just tells the time and carrying other navigational equipment with me.
It's not really much use having a compass watch that isn't 100% accurate or a GPS watch that eats battery power.
If I am ever stuck I can always use natural navigation to return myself to civilisation.

Thanks 👍

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I thinking to get Garmin Tactix. GPS track, anything what i need, i do not use compass.
From other hand my G-SHOCK and Garmin Foretrex 301, make same job just in two parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE