Compass Fluid Top-Up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I picked up a PLASTISOL Iris 50 Hand Bearing Compass (http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/full/254658.jpg)
for £2.50 at a boot fair several years ago and recently removed the sealed unit from the rubber shroud to clean off mud and crud. At some point I inadvertently applied pressure to the base which released a small amount of fluid from what looked like a mini valve. The unit does not appear to be cracked and has not leaked further since re-assembling. There is however a large air pocket that makes use tricky if not held perfectly level.

Can this be retro filled and if so how and with what fluid?

Thanks

K

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I refilled an old army compass with 90% alcohol, used a syringe and a fine needle. Sealed the opening with resin glue.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Plastimo use a petrol based spirit for their fluid, at least they did when i was at their factory in Lorient. Send them an email.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Plastimo use a petrol based spirit for their fluid, at least they did when i was at their factory in Lorient. Send them an email.

I think Plastisol are telling me to bin it!

"complete the compass will not be the solution for a permanent repair, it should find the leak before filling with colorless oil.a permanent repair would be more expensive than the manufacture of a compass"

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The Lady who replied is clearly from France and although her English is 100% better than my French, something has clearly been lost in translation.

I'm going to experiment with light clear oil, needle and a syringe.

K

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's exactly what I'd do, and I'd have both compass and oil very cold when doing it. Maybe seal it with a soldering iron or some such over the hole, if you can get the syringe into a plastic part?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's exactly what I'd do, and I'd have both compass and oil very cold when doing it. Maybe seal it with a soldering iron or some such over the hole, if you can get the syringe into a plastic part?

Agreed. I'd also place it heat as well to see if fluid expansion causes further leakage.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They would sound french, they are based in an old ww2 submarine base in Lorient on the French Atlantic coast. They still have a ww2 submarine on the tracks leading from the slipways in to the workshop.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For what you paid for the compass, you might as well do the definitive experiment and try to fill the bubble.
Skip the soldering iron. If you get the work done, a tiny dab of RTV Silicone bathtub caulking should seal the hole _and_
make it easier to do again, if needed.

Don't mess this up. I have two compasses of considerable emotional attachment, with bubbles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE