Colouring beeswax

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I plan on doing some scrimshaw and so will need some black beeswax.

...Or red...

...Or possibly other colours.

how do you colour beeswax?

or do you find some coloured beeswax candles?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Last time I did it, I used Charcoal powdered very finely, mixed with the wax for black.
For red, you could use ochre perhaps?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have heard, but not tried myself, of people using artist's oil paint to fill the scrimshaw's lines. I have used artist's paint to colour linseed oil and I don't see why the oils couldn't be used with the beeswax.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Try a shop that supplies French polishers, they usually sell powders to be mixed with the button polish but I've used it mixed in molten wax before. I bought red ochre, and raw umber from this place. I've no link other than being a customer. W S Jenkins

Cheers

Mat

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What eric said. You can buy candle makers pigments to mix with beeswax to colour it. But its no better than wax crayon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Crayons are good :) but if you really want authentic, then very old beeswax is dark brown/black. I have a block that's ideal for contrasting agin white......somewhere, I think it's in my leatherworking kit. If I can find it you're welcome to it Tengu.

If you really want to colour it red then there are two easy ways. One is to melt the wax and add cochineal.....I have some of the wee beasties dried out if you want a shot of it really as it was, and the other is to add some alkanet root. Alkanet doesn't give off colour in water or in alcohol, but it does in oil, and it'll flood warm oil with a rich dark purple if left long enough, but the first colour coming off is red. Add that to your wax and it'll colour it nicely. It's used in traditional recipes for cosmetics, like lipstick. If you use lots of wax though it won't melt like the lipstick, but it'll give you the colour.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE