Collecting Wood for craft..

johannesburg

Jul 11, 2008
Nottingham
Hi there bit of a novice to bushcraft, became interested from climbing, i'm out camping and hiking to climbing spots so it seemed to make sense as a downtime activity (not really relevant but i'm nervous :D) anyway, what i'd like to ask is where do you guys get wood from to do craft and what are the "rules" of collecting it?

Hope this makes sense

Looking forward to your response.

Jonny

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Talk to your local tree surgeon, find them in the yellow pages. Most of the bits we want go through the chipper so if you ever hear a chainsaw or chipper go and investigate.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Local wildlife trusts or ranger services are also often a good source. They cut small quantities for conservation purposes and are often happy to see it go to good use. They often have groups of volunteers who work with them weekends, so you could make yourself popular by helping out and have wood to take home :D
Nicola

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Sometimes just pick it up (although will need to be left to dry). Or, as others say, have a look around after the local wildlife services have had a bit of a chop up. The amounts we use are so small they often get left behind.
Also, try asking. Near where I live is a timber yard. But you may have a joiners shop or something like that around. I've asked them if they have any odd bits of wood with a nice grain or anything interesting and, when I tell them it's for a bit of craft work, they are more than happy to give me pieces or let me into the yard to look for scraps (I've always assumed they're pleased people are out there doing things like that).

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
just one note with tree surgeons, DON'T just walk right into where their working! i work with a tree surgery company and the public can be a major pain in the :censored:! stand far out of the way and wait untill theyv seen you then have a chat to one. sorry if this sounds patronising but we have had people try walk right underneath the tree we are working on! it doesnt take a big peice of wood dropped at hight to go through a scull, this actualy happened with a company in brighton:eek:. once a cyclist rode strait past out warning signs and through our cones just as we were about to drop an large elm tree accross the road:eek:
dont let this put you off as it is a great source of wood and often more unusual types such as eucaliptus and they will be happy to help

just make sure you think befor you move

pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sometimes just pick it up (although will need to be left to dry).

Just to be safe, I'm sure you ask permission before removing wood (fallen or otherwise) from private land. Anything else is of course theft.

Red

johannesburg

Jul 11, 2008
Nottingham
How do you go about finding out who the owner is?

My parents have a eucalyptus might sling a rope up it and liberate a piece! They've been moaning it's too big for ages anyway hehe.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
If its forestry commission they normally have a base of operations near the place in question and you can ask there. Also, this time of year theres loads of coppicing and hedgelaying going on, lots of the debris gets burnt, just ask them.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just to be safe, I'm sure you ask permission before removing wood (fallen or otherwise) from private land. Anything else is of course theft.
Yes, please don't just take wood, it could be someone else's livelihood you are taking. This is copied this from the Bodger's forum ...
i had a bunch of dead straight 15' long ash poles and about 3 ton of cordwood stolen from the woods over the weekend just gone.

all brazenly and wastefully cut up for firewood by somebody bold as brass.

thoughtless some people are, as we all know every log in the woods represents toil, a future product and a source of income.

it's taken me 2 days to calm down.
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE