Collecting birch bark for tar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm wanting to try making some birch tar but want to know if i can use bark from trees that have been dead and lying around for a few years? I.e. fungus growing on the tree in places.

There are loads of them though.

Andy

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
yep its the oil in the bark thats the last to go which is why it makes good containers. all of the bracket fungus is usefull too. :)

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I made some the other day it was great fun, the trees i used had been felled for quite some time so im sure you'll be ok.

n.b - birch tar is awesome stuff!!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Just on an ecological point (and i know it'll get a sigh from some people) can i advocate trying not to completely strip any one dead tree or an area since what lives under the bark here particulalrly in older wood can be very important in the local ecology. All the little squiggly things etc.

:)

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
I'm going to have a go at this, looks good fun. :)

Good point about the habitat for insects however, especially standing dead wood, one of the habitats that is fast disappearing from the UK I think.:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE