Coleman Fuel

Jackdaw

What actually is coleman fuel? I have two coleman liquid fuel stoves that both use Coleman Fuel and petrol, but can anyone actually tell me what coleman fuel is?

Is there an alternative version (ie cheaper)?

Thanks,

Jackdaw

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Coleman Fuel is highly refined petrol. A cheaper alternative is Panel Wipe (make sure its petroleum based) - around £10 for 5 litres from car spares shops

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Red is right, Panel wipe is the same stuff. Here in south Wales it costs between £8 and £12 depending where you go for 5 litres. Don't burn unleaded in stoves, the fumes from all the additives are very toxic

I have about 15 different petrol stoves and use panel wipe in them all without problem

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've a Whisperlite multifuel which, amongst other things, uses coleman fuel. I've found both to be excellent to use and as Red said the fuel is highly refined petrol. A word to the wise - I didn't realise that I'd spilt some of the fuel onto my finger when refilling the stoves' bottle. When, shortly after, I lit the stove I ignited my finger too and burning coleman fuel isn't extinguished by flapping your hand around :11doh: - instead it burns faster and hotter! :slap: The experience didn't put me off the fuel - it was carelessness on my behalf that caused the accident and I now make sure that I have a water supply close to hand - no pun intended - and refill the bottle whilst wearing protective gloves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE