coleman big basin hammock cocoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Had a bit of a play with my group buy coleman bag this morning

I got a much neater hang than this when I added the speader bars and ridge line. But my mrs refused to come back up take another pic with me inside it lol

It certainly does work as a cocoon without any mods, I just un-zipped the bottom of the bag and slid the hammock through

I used a DD frontline because it has sleeves for little spreader bars sewn into the mozzie net which worked great to keep the bag off your face. I did have to add another ridge line though as the bag was too heavy for the shock cord that comes with the hammock

Some inside pics

Plenty of head room

The veiw

So there ya go......I'm not saying this is an awsome solution to anything but if you have the bag or want to hammock in winter but sleep cold and can manage the pack size of the coleman then its bloody warm and plenty cheap, i'd guess its below 15 degrees today and it got uncomfortably warm in there after less than 10 minutes and I believe these bags are on sale at go-out doors for about 35 quid

Oh and I didn't have a sleeping mat under me but really could feel the warmth from the bag underneath....i''v never used an under quilt but I should imagine it pretty similar

Cheers......adam

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
try and lay on a diagonal - not in a banana - it gives you a flatter lay in a hammock (although the DD hammocks aren't really big enough to allow you to do it properly).

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Very interesting! How heavy is it? I guess you would still want a bag inside the hammock,yes?
Cheers
Phil

Its massive mate. 3kg and packs to about 20ltrs.
As for a bag inside the hammock....depends how cold it is really. I reckon 10 degrees would be comfy with just light weight clothes and no extra bag
Add another bag and a sleep mat and i'd use it in Arctic temps no problem

try and lay on a diagonal - not in a banana - it gives you a flatter lay in a hammock (although the DD hammocks aren't really big enough to allow you to do it properly).

I can sleep on a clothes line mate, I don't mind much either way
Diagonal is certainly more comfy but you can't do it properly in a DD. I like my old RM eco sleep for that

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for that - be interested to hear your feedback after we get some cold weather :)

Yeah I'll try it again when it gets colder.
But curiosity got the better of me and I slept out in it last night....I had some light weight combats on, a T shirt and a thin padded plaid shirt off the market and was as warm as toast
No sleeping bag, top quilt or kip mat

Its never gonna be anything practical to carry but it was like sleeping in a hot tent. Add a lightweight bag or just a cover in colder weather and I reckon it would make for some proper winter hammocking luxury on the cheap

I got this bag as a cheap extra for my mrs who sleeps colder than arctic char.....But midnighthound mentioned trying a hammock cocoon so I had to have a go :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE