Coleman 447 & Valor boiling stove

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Some kind freinds have been thinking of me while they were turning out the garages and I'm now the proud owner of a Dual Fuel Coleman (Ist Peak?) 447 feather- am I understanding this is unlead petrol, HWMBO reckons I could burn meths in it too but I'm not so sure, put me right please!!! :) I'm hoping to take it with me into the woodland this weekend...

And the other lovelyness is an old enamel parafin hob burner, says blue parafin only, thats the heating one isn't it? Not sure where I'll get that!! It doesn't look like its ever been used or even filled, I'm delighted!!

424648_3073986803095_1066438695_2996821_1026474713_n.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I might be wrong but I'm guessing it is coleman fuel (pricey from camping shops) and petrol. IIRC Coleman fuel is really just very clean petrol I believe.

Someone will be along shortly with the answer. However Meths is not right fuel for this Coleman stove.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The Coleman will run on white gasoline ( Coleman fuel) or unleaded petrol. It will not run on Meths's. It's a very good stove but a little heavy by modern standards but has the advantages of being quiet when running, hot, easy to use and prime and having a very controllable flame plus all the spares are readily available.

The valor would be nice in the garden or as a boat anchor..

Have fun...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Don't use that paraffin stove to anchor your boat, I'll swap it for one of my anchors if you like. :)

They're great little stoves and paraffin is one of the best heating fuels around. It's also known as "28 second burning oil" which is what most oil-fired boilers use. You can get it delivered by the lorryload for about 60 pence per litre, or have a word with a friend who has an oil-fired boiler. Lots of garages sell paraffin in packs of anywhere from 4 to 25 litres but it's more expensive.

Thesedays, paraffin heaters must by UK law have a safety device which snuffs out the flame in case it gets tipped over. I don't expect that your new toy has one of those so be careful.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats very handy to know, Ged, thanks very much! I have no boat, so need no anchor... I'll just have to use it to heat things :) And thank you for the advice, I will be exceedingly careful :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just had a thought, is the window in the paraffin stove intact? It will probably be a thin, transparent mica sheet. You need to see through it to adjust it properly to a nice blue flame. They're easily damaged (they can crease, they tend to go white along the crease) but if it's airtight it will probably be OK even if it's creased. If it has a hole in it (or if it's missing) it will need replacing.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Its absolutely perfect, never looks to have been used or filled :) I'll remember that its mica, I have some stockists cos I've an old 1930/40s multifuel stove which I'm overhauling :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I'm sure someone will be able to confirm whether the Coleman can run on Aspen fuel (for chainsaws etc) or automotive panel wipe ? either will be cheaper than Coleman fuel.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE