Coldsteel Finn Wolf scandi folder...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've just ordered one from HH. Knowing them, it'll be at home before I get there this evening.

When I've had a little play, I'll give you my initial thoughts. The problem was, when I was ordering it, I noticed the Gentleman's Pocket Knife by Fallkniven as well, which, to my mind is a much prettier option...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I know. I didn't even contemplate clicking on the 'Add to Cart' button at that price! I have too many gizmos and cutting tools as it is...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It arrived yesterday. Initial thoughts: very nicely made, rock-solid locking mechanism, very sharp zero ground Scandi blade. The handle is a light-ish weight plastic stuff - I'm sure it's got some funky name but I can't remember it - and, when the blade is opened, the balance of the tool is well over the blade. It'll be interesting to see how this works in practice. The knife is very well finished and did the 'paper test' without any need for a strop; once I've had the cahnce to strop it, it'll be a formidable cutting tool.

So, this offers very, very good value for money. A little more playing with it on my part will give a clearer picture about its out-and-out quality and performance in the areas where it'll see most service. For forty quid, it's got to be worth a go.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As promised, I've had a chance to try out my new Cold Steel Finn Wolf and I thought a few observations might help any folk out there with their decision about buying one.

My initial impressions were entirely favourable, especially since you seem to get quite a lot of knife for forty or so quid. This does remain my opinion.

Having had a look, I went and stropped the AUS8 blade and brought it to a predictably keen edge. Then, it was time to go and try it.

The scandi grind made it easy to feather a stick though, because of the rather flattened nature of the handle, it is quite difficult to just get the edge catching to create good, fine and tight curls. I then tried it out with a little wood carving - a pair of salad servers, as it happened - where it performed well though the thumb stud on top of the blade did get in the way and catch on the work. That aside, it cuts very well, helped again by the grind and shape of the blade. It was less adept at tight corners, due to the depth of the blade which, while not massive, did compromise it when cutting or carving curves. It proved a useful tool in food preparation though a scandi grind is not the best thing when slicing; however, if it's all you've got, then it'll do it in a largely acceptable way. I didn't have the opportunity to dress any game with it but I would expect it to be a reasonable tool for that. I did not try to baton with it as there limits to my lunacy and I would never use any folding knife - and rarely a full tang one - for a job best suited to an axe.

The lock mechanism seems to work well and hold the blade open in a reassuringly firm manner, no matter what the task. I did note that you have to push the lock lever down to its fullest extent in order to unlock the blade and fold it away. This can be seen as a reassurance or something of a pain. Other locking mechanisms, such as a liner lock, would, to my mind, be preferable.

The handle is comfortable enough and the clip thing that is attached did not really get in the way as I initially thought it might. Even in fairly prolonged use, it remained fairly comfortable in the hand, though you do have to work harder to hold it in the desired plane when cutting or carving.

The thumb stud is a section of machined, threaded rod stock. I'm sure that this allows for easy removal - something I might well do - if desired. I don't much like the one-handed opening afforded by thumb studs/holes and this one is quite close to the pivot which, until I get used to it, makes the opening of the blade feel rather unnatural. I tend to grab the sides towards the tip of the blade and open it that way; it works for me and might see me dispense with the thumb stud.

Overall, then, this is a perfectly serviceable locking knife - well put together, made of good materials and offering good value for money BUT I just don't 'get' locking knives. On my daily sorties out in the woods with my dogs, I always have a small fixed bladed knife with me. The slabs on it are full and rounded so it fits my hand well and allows me to exercise far greater control with far less fatigue than the Cold Steel Finn Wolf. The folder that is always on my person is a Victorinox Farmer. It has a blade that cuts, just like this lock-blade knife, but it also has a saw, a screwdriver/bottle opener, can opener and pointy thing which is surprisingly useful; none of these extra, useful tools are available on the locking knife.

So what really is their purpose? For me at least, a folder with a locking blade just has no real purpose, not because they are poorly made or rubbish; it is simply that, if I need to cut anything, I have my fixed bladed knife with all the advantages that that brings; for everything else, there's my Farmer.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I now have one of these myself, and I find it pretty good. I love the very solid lock on the blade, the edge/grind, and how light it all is. The back of the blade is very well squared off, and throws sparks well. My only criticism (and to be fair, its a pretty big one) is that the rather drastic stylised 'return' on the base of the handle (no doubt added in as a pukko homage, and probably more form over function) digs in incredibly painfully into the palm of the hand when a reverse grip is selected. I do have moderately large hands, so this possibly isn't as problematic for those with smaller hands. I'm hopeful that a session with a file will help matters a little, because for me this is the only flaw in a fantastic little knife.

Its certainly not as pretty as the TBS Boar folder I have (non locking), but it nicely fills a gap for me - when i'm planning a visit to the woods, and i know that i will be using a knife i pack the finn wolf. If I'm just going for a bimble, and may need a knife, the folding boar goes; or on the other extreme, if I'm planning a visit to the woods primarily with the intention of doing bushcraft throughout, then a fixed blade accompanies me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE