Cold Steel Trail Tomahawk mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
HillBill said:
There are plenty axes with an eye and no poll that are friction fit. The reason being is they are the simplest to make. One piece of steel folded over and ground to shape. They were very common throughout the world where axes were used.

Tomahawks as they became to be known were originally just called trade axes. They were shipped en masse to the Americas by the Europeans for trade. They were used as weapons of war and modified when the indians who had them were forced to fight. They were the only steel many of them had and as such were given much use in close quarter fighting, they were light and quick in the hand. Thus the tomahawk was born and designs modified to encorporate other uses to the original styles.
I see, well I had a feeling that I was wrong about that, oh well I'm no expert. I did know about that trade axe thing though.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ah you have a Bushman!!!

What do you think of it. Looks a good tough inexpensive piece of kit? Was thinking of getting my brother one for his birthday as he's always pinching my billhook.

Any chance of a mini-review?

Cheers Goatboy.

Brillant piece of kit, but get him a Billhook. Really good knife, but I cannot seem to find a role for it.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Where they not made of stone in the US first?

From Carl Russell's "Firearms, Traps, & Tools of the Mountain Man"......
"...Algonquian and Iroquoian Indians, immediately upon aquiring the iron hatchet, seem to have named it "tomahawk" after the aboriginal weapon which it replaced.... Ultimately some white men borrowed the Indian word and used the term for their own hatchets."

hmmm...some white men sure did do some borrowing.

:lmao: lol Draven, those pics look like crime scene photos from a rock concert. Molly Hatchet?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think the big problem with knife design is it was sorted hundreds of years ago, so unless you make something like the Tom Brown Tracker, no chance of claiming copyright.

I would be interested in what designs you think they have copied(This might be worth a PM, posting stuff like this in an open-ish forum could get you in trouble.). My Bushman is an original never seen anything like it.

Some of their stuff may be original, but some stuff is blatantly copied from other sources. Again, it is just a style of knife so I see no major problem with it personally, but some stuff such as the Canadian boat knife thingy is copied from elsewhere. Loads of them are, but their steel is supposedly decent and they are cheap enough so I see no reason why they sdhould be dismissed as a knife manufacturer. I was gonna get some SRKs when i was in the Army in Iraq but didn't bother. I wish i had as they were selling for 25 USD at the time! :eek:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Some of their stuff may be original, but some stuff is blatantly copied from other sources. Again, it is just a style of knife so I see no major problem with it personally, but some stuff such as the Canadian boat knife thingy is copied from elsewhere.

But they do say that about the boat knife, and others. I think a little honesty is a good thing. Also from a Bushcraft point of view having your own version of a knife is very online with what people did. Also like the Mora, you could buy the knife and rehandle it. Now if only we could get them to make a Nessmuk.

You could argue that the main three Mora style bushcraft knives are copies. The design is something over 600 years old, maybe even older.

Loads of them are, but their steel is supposedly decent and they are cheap enough so I see no reason why they sdhould be dismissed as a knife manufacturer.

I think that is what they are, a manufacturer. Unless the lottery comes up(Tonight would be nice) I may never own an AG Russell Sting, but I will own the CRKT version at some point. I now may never own a Katana because of the law, or the lottery coming.

I was gonna get some SRKs when i was in the Army in Iraq but didn't bother. I wish i had as they were selling for 25 USD at the time! :eek:

Doh! They sell for nearly five times that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE