Cold Steel Tomahawk

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I bought a Coldsteel Tomahawk from Man_of_Tanith the other day and thought I would give it a quick review

tomahawk-riflemans-hawk-90rh.jpg

It weighs about 1kg and is 48 cm long with the head weighs 750g with a 9cm cutting edge

Cutting.

I used it to cut a small beech tree down (about 10cm across) and it cut it down no problem although it did feel odd as the axe is very light for its size

Splitting

I tried to spit some small Cherry, Douglas fir and Oak logs rather unsuccessfully as the blade is very thin as its designed for throwing and got stuck rather than split even on fairly small pieces

Carving

I used it to rough out a spoon I was carving it was ok to handle but not really sharp enough as I have not put a very sharp edge on it as I am going to use it for throwing

Hammering

The hammer seems to be ok, fairly well balanced, I only put a few small nails into a bit of pine to see how it was I have not done any sustained hammering.

Throwing

Well its what this axe is made for and it throws really well its nicely balanced and only took a couple of throws to get used to. As long as you remember to loosen the grub screw before you throw it the handle shouldn't break too soon

Over view

I wouldn't replace my main axe with it but as a throwing axe or additional axe its great but it won't be coming out with me on every occasion.

I carved a bit of extra grip into the handle and started to polish the head up as it looks cool when its shiny and you throw it. Still a fair bit of polishing to go.

225107_10150236974596005_510126004_9059656_7578161_n.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks pretty cool in the picture mate! It's good to hear some thoughts of a thrower being used as a chopper as they do look very lightweight and old school.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE