coke can hobo stove

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have heard of people making a hobo stove out of a coke can, so thought i would give it a go with a stanley knife during my break at work. i have made loads of these before from empty bean cans and paint tins so this took all of 2 mins to make. i then bought it home, chucked in some twigs and a bit of wax... well now i know how hot these things get, melting point of aluminium is 660 degrees C (says t'internet) and it got there within a minute. not much use now, but it was very interesting to know what these things can do!
:D

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Just looked this up on Google, and although several websites say that hot coals are about 540 degrees C, It would appear that the can shouldn't have melted. However, a bit of further digging took me to the Cornell University Center for Material Research website, that said "red" coals are 3000 degrees C. Since as you stated the melting point of aluminum is 660 degrees C., I guess this explains everything. LOL. I have been out camping and tossed a beer can into a very hot fire and watched it completely disappear in just a few moments. Later found the aluminum slag in the ashes.

Ah, well, back to the drawing board on hobo 2.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE