Coffee can cookpot

J

JBird

I'm playing around with taking a coffe can (#10 tin can) and turning it into a cookpot. And was wonder if anyone knows if these burn out after a couple of uses or do they last a good while? I assume that they don't last as long as a commerical bought cookpot. Also the one I'm working on originally held food and has a type of coating on the inside, I suppose to keep the contents from tasting like metal, is this a problem? Any information on this will help.
Thanks in Advance,
JBird

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it depends what its made of mate, i have an old tin, not sure what it had in it, which i use for boiling willow bark in, since its been heated its turned very rusty and now couldnt be used for food, your tin may go the same way.. try it and see!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I agree with Wolf. If it has a lining material it will burn off. What is left may well be unsuitable for cooking with. The best cookpot I made was a large commercial baked bean tin. I picked it up from the bins that a restaurant had put out to be emptied. I punched two holes on opposite sides near the top and put a brass wire rabbit snare through and twisted the ends to make a handle. I used to keep my brew kit, a few tins of sardines and some army oatmeal blocks in there and it was always ready should a hunger or thirst come over me.

Eric

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Eric_Methven said:
...... The best cookpot I made was a large commercial baked bean tin. I picked it up from the bins that a restaurant had put out to be emptied. I punched two holes on opposite sides near the top and put a brass wire rabbit snare through and twisted the ends to make a handle. .......
Eric

Didn't Ray Mears do a similar thing on one of his programs, think he was in the Artic using an old catering tin as a cook pot/ billy?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE