Closed cell foam - where to buy off the roll?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm looking for a place to buy closed cell foam mat similar to camp mats from. I remember reading somewhere the likes of Wickes used to do something.

We're thinking of trying to make a custom mat for the new tent out of it rather than having single mats sliding around and gaps between them. It's to replace 3 solo mats or more likely just 2 mats.

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions for possible suppliers?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's to be folded and rolled for carrying on a bike pannier rack. I've taped foam together before and never got it to last.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We used interlocking foam workshop squares from Costco with some success before now, can be trimmed to size and stacked for transport.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I think needle sports sell closed cell foam mat from exped that is 1.5m wide and on a roll. But I'm not certain.

J

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
You can buy closed cell foam easily from any diy store since its used often as insulation. Normally sold as rolled up sheets at .5M interval sizes. Make sure to get the softer kind and not the type that's semi-rigid. Its unfortunately more expensive than you would think compared to a couple of cheap kip mats.

Tonyuk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have difficulty getting the sizes you want at a sensible price ... a good contact adhesive will bond a few cheap mats REALLY well.
I have done this and it works brilliantly :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I bought 5mm closed foam from an here https://www.anyfoam.co.uk/sheet-foam.php, the 2m x 1m to experiment with as a pad in my hammock. I have never seen closed cell foam in a DIY store, so do not know what that looks like. The stuff that I got from Anyfoam was not like the stuff you get kip mats in. Kip mats in my experience, have smooth skinned surfaces whereas the industrial foam is the same finish on all faced and edges. This makes it a LOT more grippy. It is possible to reposition something like a RidgeRest pad under you in a hammock, not easy, but you can yank it around even as you lie on a bit of it. Not so with the industrial foam, it grabs the fabric of the hammock, and your base layer clothing, and resists all attempts to move it. I would imagine that in a tent this would mean that you would be able to roll over, but any sliding wouldn't work. When you want to roll over in place, there is an element of sliding going on, so being grabbed by the pad/floor could be annoying.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Just to take a slightly different angle...

I've tried putting solid mats as the floor of the tent, and found it unsatisfactory. No matter how clean you and your camping buddies try to be, you'll almost always have some sort of debris on the floor of the tent - grass, leaves, crumbs of food. If you're sleeping directly on the floor, then you're sleeping in that, which isn't too nice.

So what I ended up doing was buying a coleman tent carpet for a larger tent than mine and cutting it to size. Then I edged it using 1" webbing. It makes a nice cozy tent floor with some insulation, and then you can use a much lighter mat on top. That way you stay out of the stuff on the floor, and the whole tent has a nice carpet, so no cold spots on the floor.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
There is a foam (and material ) suppliers in a village close to me, Challock .
A Mr Elliot runs it. Give them a call, I could post it for you.
There used to be another foam supplier in another local village near Faversham whom we used for boat cushions, but they closed a couple of years ago. Shame when these places go.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I'm looking for a place to buy closed cell foam mat similar to camp mats from. I remember reading somewhere the likes of Wickes used to do something.

We're thinking of trying to make a custom mat for the new tent out of it rather than having single mats sliding around and gaps between them. It's to replace 3 solo mats or more likely just 2 mats.

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions for possible suppliers?

A large ( "3 man size" ) will be difficult to roll and transport. Why do you not get some lengths ( as long as the standard closed cell sleeping mats) of wide Velcro bands, then do like this:
On mat one, on top and bottom of the long edge, fix the knobbly part of the Velcro so it overhangs the edge by half. On mat two, fix the fluffy part, both top and botton of the long side. On the opposing long side, fix the knobbly part so it overhangs by half, both top and bottom. On mat three, fix the fluffy part to one long sude, top and bottom.

this way you just connect the three mats together. It does not matter if the fluffy Velcro part is not covered completely, but the best is of course if it does, so you should only use the same with of the fluffy velcro as the overhanging knobbly Velcro.

Got it ? ( English is not my 1:st language, difficult for me to formulate it properly)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE