Close encounter of the 'deer' kind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I was out picking blackberries for my whiskey when a deer - couldn't say anything more than that, it had antlers though.... - popped out from the hedge about 10ft away and bounded off.

It's the closest I've ever been to a deer, great creatures.

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
stunners arent they! if you interested in what type let me know what he looked like (i know, i'm a bit of a geek :eek: ) and i'll do my best for you.

hopefully this'll be the first of many dude. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Size, spots, colour. You know, that sort of thing! Now, for your next trick, study the hoofprints and follow them! Stay downwind, and you'll be able to find it again. If you see it freeze, or move very slowly straight at it. Like most animals, it's vision detects movement best, so if you move towards it you don't appear to move much just get a little bigger. I can get very close to them in my neck of the woods and watch them for ages. Usually about 30ft or so. Practice walking quietly in the woods too. Keep your weight on your rear foot, and place your front foot on the ground heel first and roll it flat. Then transfer the weight across to it. On some surfaces, you place toes first, and on some the side of the foot. Experiment-it's not that hard, then it becomes second nature to walk quietly.

where i live i can get very close to roe deer,i find if you behave unusual when a buck sees you its curiosity gets the better of him and he actually comes to you,this works better when hes running around with his wife,he is paranoid and jealous of all rivals....bad thing to do is to stray into his special areas, he will jump bark and shake them antlers around like mad,its here he could run at you :)

Spacemonkey said:
I suppose the best thing to do then is to make fists, extend your index finger on each hand and place on either side of your forehead, then charge him first? He won't be expecting that...
:D

A trick I've used in the past was to get relatively close, preferably ending up behind a tree and then took out a white piece of cloth and just flapped it around a bit. A little more than half of the time, the deer would see it and curiosity would get the better and it would come up very close. Alternatively, get to know your local territiory and where the deer pass through and congregate. I would often go out very early in the morning and sit leant up against a tree and just wait. With patience, the deer would walk straight passed with hardly even a tremor :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Earlier in the year I was crouched watching the wild life get on with their daily business when one of the resident roe deer on the estate came over and had a sniff off me.

Even manage to give it stroke before one of the neighbrough's dogs distrubed it.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I nearly trod on a newborn dear once. I was on a DofE hike near Loch Turret about 10 years ago - totally unaware of "bushcraft" etc and a lot less aware of my surroundings. It was curled up out of sight in the heather, and totally motionless despite the threat of a Berghaus size 9 about to descend upon it. The mother was nowhere to be seen (so probably about 10 feet away... :eek: )
Later I learnt that the fawns only really exhibit that behaviour when they're very young. I hope we didn't cause any problems. I can still remember it though, like it was a photograph.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I don't remember it having any spots, to my recollection it seemed completely or predominantly brown. I was looking more at the movement than the deer.

I never thought of following it; good idea Spacemonkey and thanks for the tips

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE