Wanted Clematis for Hand drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gwanunig

Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am up in the north of Scotland so sourcing clematis isn't particularly easy, if any of you are able to source some - preferably dead and seasoned to some degree - please let me know.

Thanks!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I don't think I've seen much if any here in yorkshire. Is it more of a southern thing? I'll have a scope next time out in the woods, I do remember seeing some vine type stuff but it could have just been dead ivy.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If your not in a rush I can cut you some. To find a thick bit may take a week or 4 as we are in Lockdown and not meant to travel unless for work but as Nice65 says, theres loads in the hedges down here and I clear a footpath or two................

Reactions: Cyberjip

Gwanunig

Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
If your not in a rush I can cut you some. To find a thick bit may take a week or 4 as we are in Lockdown and not meant to travel unless for work but as Nice65 says, theres loads in the hedges down here and I clear a footpath or two................
That would be great! There is no real rush.
Enough to make a board or two that's a centimetre thick as a hearth board. The pieces in have used in the past were between one and two inches for their widest part, and as long as you can manage to get.
Drop me a message if and when you are able to get out and about, we can discuss further.
Cheers!

Gwanunig

Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
What sort of diameter and length? The stuff is in every hedgerow here.
Thanks! The pieces in have used in the past were between one and two inches for their widest part, and as long as you can manage to get.
Send me a message if your able to get any and we can discuss further.
Thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Recreational dog walking, or for personal exercise is ok. Having a picnic amongst friends and meeting others is not, though I appreciate your view on staying put as much as possible. Common sense is always a good thing. :)

I take the dogs out everyday, there’s no problem with it, it’s contact with other humans I generally avoid. And that’s nothing to do with COVID-19. :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Apologies, I’d forgotten about this. Again we have a horrible wet day, not great for crawling into a hedge, but I will put the Silky saw into the car as a reminder to grab something suitable for you.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Following up, I’ve been up the Downs this afternoon and having taken a nick out of a few thicker pieces it’s obvious it’s green and the thicker stems are supplying a large vine. Anything dead is soft and pulpy, so it looks to me you’ll get a better board from green wood that been seasoned. The case with all timbers really.

Anyway, I struck lucky because the contractors have been clearing under the powerlines and cutting out loads of Hazel etc, so everything gets flattened or cut to chest height. In amongst a Hazel stand I found a decent big bit, so cut it out.

How I’ll get it to you I have no idea.

Attachments

• 672EB6AC-D083-4A2C-BBBC-03F9ABB2E448.jpeg
    672EB6AC-D083-4A2C-BBBC-03F9ABB2E448.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 093BACCD-CD4C-4B11-98EA-27CDCD8F4644.jpeg
    093BACCD-CD4C-4B11-98EA-27CDCD8F4644.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 462DBDB9-39DB-45AF-B68C-08A501680817.jpeg
    462DBDB9-39DB-45AF-B68C-08A501680817.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10

Gwanunig

Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Following up, I’ve been up the Downs this afternoon and having taken a nick out of a few thicker pieces it’s obvious it’s green and the thicker stems are supplying a large vine. Anything dead is soft and pulpy, so it looks to me you’ll get a better board from green wood that been seasoned. The case with all timbers really.

Anyway, I struck lucky because the contractors have been clearing under the powerlines and cutting out loads of Hazel etc, so everything gets flattened or cut to chest height. In amongst a Hazel stand I found a decent big bit, so cut it out.

How I’ll get it to you I have no idea.
I really appreciate you going out and getting this. If posting it away is going to be a hassle then don't worry about it - one of the other guys in this thread has already got me sorted out with some.
I haven't been on here in a while. If your up for sending it my way drop me a DM.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I really appreciate you going out and getting this. If posting it away is going to be a hassle then don't worry about it - one of the other guys in this thread has already got me sorted out with some.
I haven't been on here in a while. If your up for sending it my way drop me a DM.

Not a problem at all, it gave my dog walk a bit of purpose. I’ll drop you a PM, but I‘ll tell you it’s a heavy lump that’s probably better cut in half, and it‘ll need seasoning so I wouldn’t expect to even rip a board out of it for a year or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE