Cleavers - Galium aparine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have a torrent of this also - I know the common belief is ' boil it , its akin to asparagus ' but can you pickle/ferment/chemically enhance it to be something 'more'?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just pick it really young and fresh (new growth from plucked plants is fine) and eat it on brown bread and butter :)
It's a bit like skinny samphire, but not salty, iimmc, or bittercress without the bite.

Reactions: TeeDee

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I have loads in the garden too. It tastes like grass so the cupboard really would have to be bare to force me to eat the stuff.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you take a wee handful and rub it up into a green mush between your palms, then the resultant juicy stuff is really good to wipe onto insect bites and itchy skin. It soothes the bite, calms down the reaction, etc.,.......and this is from the lady who tholes dermatographic urticaria and has permanent antihistamine prescriptions. If it's safe and comfortable on me, then it's pretty much the same for most.
It was used on me as a child, I used it on my infant sons (midgies are hell up here) and none of us reacted badly to the stuff, and it did soothe the bites.
One of those traditional uses apparently.

M

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE