Cleaning Horn

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I did one a few years ago, i pulled info off the net, it has never been used as drinking horn, I have never really trusted it as clean. I stood it with gut rot cider [whitelighting] in it for a few days and then used a bottle brush to scrub down the inside. I cut and filed the flaky bit from the lip end, do this outside with a mask, the dust and smell is really rank. I tried to coat the inside with beewax which was never successful at getting it even. I was told it better and cleaner to put a plastic sleive on the inside if you wish to drink from it. It is has sat about been a job a I was going to get around to.

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Get some bleach in it diluted with 75% boiling water and leave in till cold. Pour out and scrub out with a bottle brush. Do this twice then rinse with cold water. Finally buy a large bottle of the cheapest cider available, fill the horn and leave for 24hrs. Rinse one last time and you're good to go. To make the outside really smooth and shiny, polish it using solvil autosol chrome polish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We usually just use Milton tablets or fluid, but Mad Dave's method is probably more available to hand in your household :)

Sorry to put anyone off this, but the horns of our own cattle are not allowed to be sold. All those beautiful Highland cattle horns are incinerated, despite the fact that the animals are well cared for, healthy and disease free.
Instead horns are imported from India, Africa, etc......and called 'organic'. Make blooming sure you not only scour them, but bleach them, and for heavens sake be careful with the dust until you do so.

cheers,
M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry to put anyone off this, but the horns of our own cattle are not allowed to be sold. All those beautiful Highland cattle horns are incinerated, despite the fact that the animals are well cared for, healthy and disease free.
Instead horns are imported from India, Africa, etc......and called 'organic'. Make blooming sure you not only scour them, but bleach them, and for heavens sake be careful with the dust until you do so.

Why aren't they allowed to be sold Mary?

Thanks for all your advice . Will try using the different methods and let you know how it turns out.

Just posting after you've done it will tell us it's been successful Fred ;)

Good luck with it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BSE basically; even though they've never had it, never been in contact with it, and are routinely health checked, the entire head has to be incinerated.

The man who looks after the Pollok fold of Highland cattle in Glasgow was more than irritated that his prize cattle were incinerated while filthy stuff was still allowed to be imported.

I know which cup I'd rather drink from though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE