Clean fine abrasive for hardwood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It looks very good! I like the chunkiness, and the fungus striations!

Do the slots go all the way through the block?

Also, a nice steak you have there. Proper food for a human!

PS: do not be afraid of a patina. Those knives in my email are of Aogami Blue 2, and oxidize rapidly. They are about 1.5 years old, used, washed. Dried after each wash.

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
It looks very good! I like the chunkiness, and the fungus striations!

Do the slots go all the way through the block?

Also, a nice steak you have there. Proper food for a human!

PS: do not be afraid of a patina. Those knives in my email are of Aogami Blue 2, and oxidize rapidly. They are about 1.5 years old, used, washed. Dried after each wash.

Thank you. Its pretty rough but I quite like it too. Yes the slots go all the way down at the back, in the end I had to just freehand with a circular saw.

The knives are stained already from that first meal, even though washed and dried immediately. I'm happy for them to develop their personality over the coming years though!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That roughness is nice. Contrast to the perfect surfaces on the knifes (steel and handle)

Oil the inside of the slots well.
I oiled the bit where the magnets hold the blades as soon as I noticed some extra patina ( rust to other people :). ) on the blades there. Moisture retention.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have made a batch of bodhran tippers the last few days and even though I say so myself,managed to get a s##t hot finish in the following way....
Turned the tippers using sharp roughing gouge/bedan/parting tools, which are basically the only 3 I use nowadays. (various woods such as pitch pine, zebrano, ash, beech, mahogany, plum wood, oak, bog oak, some with buffalo horn tips) then used 180/240 mirka, then 320/400/600/1000 emery paper (only a very light slight touch with each paper) then sanding sealer (shellac) then buffed bees wax. In my experience sanding will never really undo bad and rough tool work to begin with, and polish etc cant undo bad or roughsanding....Oh and never underestimate the usefulness of burnishing, it works great especially on stuff like buffalo horn or antelope horn as well as hardwoods. I use a piece of very smoothed bufflao horn to burnish buffalo horn, or hard smooth steel to burinsh wood. I have never used bog oak before, and to begin with was having problems with the black dust getting into the ash it was joined to, I just learned to sand from the ash onto the bog oak,not the other way....

Reactions: Robson Valley

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gave those an edge today, and a test run, and a new home....

20180922_204955_zpsjaerop7o.jpg

That made me giggle when I saw it, it's wonderful! The block of cherry reminds me of a beef chop! Perfectly appropriate for steak knives! Beautiful!

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE