Clarifying spruce resin ?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a small amount of resin collected off a Norway spruce, it has bits in it, how can I clarify it so I have something a bit more useful. Don't know what to do with it yet though

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on whether you want it black or not.

If you don't mind, take something like a beer can and cut the bottom off it. Punch some holes through the hollowed base and pile the resin in that. Put some kind of catch container underneath the beer can and then set fire to the resin. It burns but it melts too, and it drips through clean without the muck in it.

HWMBLT makes me the most beautiful clear amber coloured resin though by dissolving it first in something like real turpentine and straining out the debris, then evaporating off the turps.
The house smells wonderful while he's doing it :D

I dissolved the resin in warm olive oil (it needs broken up, so keep a wee stick to hand to gently pound it in the jar) and then strain it out that way. Again it's clean, but the oil resin mix isn't solid unless I reheat with beeswax. It makes great furniture polish or portective coating for wooden handles, etc.,

I have a big pot of resin to be cleaned up; interested to hear how other folks do it :D

cheers,
Toddy

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I made a pitch stick, where you melt it down, mix in powdered charcoal and beeswax then form it round a stick and you have pitch for use as glue etc. If you didn't want to do this, the stage where I melted it down some of the bits- mainly larger ones it was able to fish out with a pair of pliers- so if you let the harden you'd probably have cleaner resin :).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cheers Toddy, I was leaning towards dissolving it , but am interested in seeing other methods too.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Put it in a cloth bag and in boiling water then use a spoon and collect the resin that is floating. After than you can pour the resin you collected into cold water and handle it.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Two ways I have tried recently was to place the resin on some fine metal mesh and place this over a plastic pot. I heated this in the oven at just below 100 degrees F which worked but is slow. A better way to heat and melt with this method is in the Microwave but you have to heat in short bursts to minimise the metal sparking. Maybe plastic mesh would work like a tea strainer?
I got some lovely clear amber resin by this method that remains pliable but will break cleanly if bent.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have used the beer can method a few times but placed a piece of hessian cloth between them. Came out amber clear both times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE