Clamshell style tactical packs - worth the hassle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
I have a cheap normal daysack that I use for walking/hiking, filled with a days gear it only weighs a little more than my 5.11 clamshell type pack does empty.

The 5.11 pack is great if you are not carrying it far or as a macho handbag but all the zips and buckles do make it a bit too heavy to lug around all day.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think alot depends on YOU and how you intend to use a pack.

I think they are great for admin of smaller items and quite OCD in being able to keep all of of certain kit together.

For heavy duty stuff , even the bigger bags - I don't think carry weight very well.
OCD, I think you have hit the button there. Like many folk here I seem to have and have had an infinity of packs over time. I quite like these various Molle packs as you can add all manner of stuff to the outside, from cameras, to water bottles, to whatever. Many years ago I made myself a clamshell pack, as it seemed a good idea at the time, and perhaps I was ahead of the time.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my opinion such multi zipper rucksacks are practical for indoor use. Yes, indoor!

House to car, car to office or work shop to car, to coffee shop to car to house.

That are civil rucksacks for use in everyday life that look like an adventure bag but aren't.

I personally use a 34 litres rucksack that has 1 draw string, 3 flaps and 4 click buckles, but no zippers. 2 side pouches, 1 internal inner pocket in the main compartment.

Yes I use a few zippers too, but they are sewn into seperate internal smaller bags.

In my opinion a zipper is always a weak point in a rucksack.

Reactions: Billy-o

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I tried a 5.11 RUSH pack but really didn't get on with it. There seemed to be so many sections, pockets and pouches, each of which would only weaken the overall pack. It carried poorly and, even with things cinched down, seemed to stick out beyond the average day pack. I remain rather sceptical about the strength and 'weatherproofness' of the zip, too: if that fails, you have little chance of keeping things dry (obviously an impossible ideal in any pack...) but you also stand to lose things when busy, out and about. I have got rid of it and returned to a standard, top-loading sack, organising my bits and pieces into a series of dry bags. If the clips fail on my pack, there is still the possibility of keeping things both dry and together with the drawcord around the top.

As with everything - and I mean 'everything' - it's a personal choice/'horses for courses' but I am not convinced about the merits of a clam-shell type of pack.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
What is with all the zips these days?
My Lowe Alpine Airtrail 30 is almost perfect (1 too many pockets) and it has one buckle and a draw string. Do your organising in dry bags.
I look at double buckle bags with contempt after using a single buckle bag.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you look at the other 5.11 products you will discover that all the stuff is police equipment.

Reactions: Minotaur

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Could have the best of both worlds. Wisport silverfox 2, osprey kestrel 58, both these packs have both clamshell opening as well as a conventional lid/buckle opening. I own neither though, so I'm not making a recommendation.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a North face Surge.

Its my Uni bag so, books and a Laptop.

It was picked out by Cotswold outdoors for that purpose.

If I used it in the field I would give it a cover.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you look at the other 5.11 products you will discover that all the stuff is police equipment.
The original clam shells were medical bags. They actual make sense for that purpose as you want to lay your hands straight on something. A lot of 5.11 products are military re-designs.
I think for day to day use or any need were you want to able to lay your hands straight on things like shooting or photography they work.
For hiking were you have to carry it why carry all that weight to start with.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE