Christmas wreath.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Anyone else enjoy making up a few wreathes for family and friends? Very easy to make.
The hoop is easy to make from a few twisted willow wands. Held togther with a little lime cordgage kindly retted by nature (hanging from a dead branch) :) Then its just a case of threading clipping and stuffing in holly and ivy, just needs a few berries, when i manage to find a female plant! Also like to add a little spruce and pine resin for the smell. Very theraputic, bit not so for the hands ouchh. Very easy to make and i bring a little of the outside, in. Plus have you seen the cost of these in the shop! this was made for nawt.
Quick pic. If anyone wants any tips or shots before the holly etc just let me know.

P5120001.jpg

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Oh, thanks for the post. This was my plan for the weekend. Got my girlfriend coming out with me, giving her a little taste of what we get up to when we go down to the woods and thought this was the perfect introduction. What is the cordage needed for? I was going to attempt building it by twisting a nice wand together and then twisting things around that and then in the gaps created by the twisting process until we have something. However sounds like there's more than meets the eye now.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Oh, thanks for the post. This was my plan for the weekend. Got my girlfriend coming out with me, giving her a little taste of what we get up to when we go down to the woods and thought this was the perfect introduction. What is the cordage needed for? I was going to attempt building it by twisting a nice wand together and then twisting things around that and then in the gaps created by the twisting process until we have something. However sounds like there's more than meets the eye now.

Nah thats about it honest. The only reason i used some cordage was to bind the wands together a little better and too also help with securing the holly, just another thing to stuff the holly under besides the twists in the willow ;) I have made them witout any cordage but this just made it easier. Most of the cordage was very rough as it didnt need to be pretty, all except the bit to hang it by. I find it easy to hang the hoop from a branch or the ceiling in my shop as it makes it easier to thread it all up. One good tip if your doing this at home is to wash the holly with a hose first, get all the bird poo off :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
looks great that bud, would look even better on my door lol.

If i stuck it on the outside of the door round here it would be a toss up between the wind whipping it and the locals, about 10 minutes if i am lucky lol

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the tips. Maybe i'll have to give it a quick hose down once I get back home. Got a couple of my friends with us as well so our plan is to also have ourselves a wild Christmas dinner :). This looks a nice activity whilst we wait for dinner :D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice wreath Dwardo, I like making them too.

Heres mine, just popped it up on the door.

Image00009.jpg

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Me n Sue are knocking a few together for solstice and garlands. Going to make some in the shape of sunwheels. Yours looks good , that should be proud . Cheers

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Me n Sue are knocking a few together for solstice and garlands. Going to make some in the shape of sunwheels. Yours looks good , that should be proud . Cheers

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

Be nice to see those. :)

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

We made ours yesterday, I love doing this. We go for a walk in our local woods and collect the parts and then come home and make it. In fact this year we made 3 by popular demand from family! -

2846f505.jpg

edf53f05.jpg

24a8d9c9.jpg

78aa4f74.jpg

cf3bdfaf.jpg

Other than the bows its all natural so I can recycle it easily after Christmas.

Barry

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff keep em coming. Shame its not something thats easy to do with the littluns due to the prickles, poinsonous berries n all :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE