Christmas Decorations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I don't imagine that I'm the first to ask this question, but I didn't get any obvious hits from a search, so...

I'd like some simple ideas for individual Christmas decorations, or gifts, that can be made by members of [an international youth organisation that doesn't allow the use of fixed blade knives]. Age range 10½ -14 years.

And I do mean simple. It can be a struggle at times holding their attention long enough to show them how to tie an overhand knot, so trying to coordinate a group wreath is probably impractical. Task duration ~½ hour.

Ideally, there should be a bushcraft theme, so paper-chains and glass-blowing for baubles are low on the list.

· Paracord bracelet?
· Turk's head [device for securing a neckerchief]?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
how about pyrography? it doesn't have to be anything fancy, we used to use nails driven into a wooden dowel handle and the end sharpened to a point. They were heated over a small camping stove or a blowlamp. Heat to red hot and draw away.

You can cut out some wooden 'plaques' ready and they can decorate or make keyrings, woggles etc

BTW if it is scouts then the 'not allowed to use fixed blade knives' is rubbish - true they cant carry them, but nothing to stop them using them (would restrict cooking a tad after all! ;) )

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
how about pyrography? it doesn't have to be anything fancy, we used to use nails driven into a wooden dowel handle and the end sharpened to a point. They were heated over a small camping stove or a blowlamp. Heat to red hot and draw away.

You can cut out some wooden 'plaques' ready and they can decorate or make keyrings, woggles etc

BTW if it is scouts then the 'not allowed to use fixed blade knives' is rubbish - true they cant carry them, but nothing to stop them using them (would restrict cooking a tad after all! ;) )

Pyrography! I'd missed that. We've just split the group into new patrols, so they've got new totem animals to depict.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about coffee mug mats, filled with pine needles (the long ones are best) dried peas or wheat or suchlike, some cloves, broken up cinnamon sticks and dried orange or tangerine peel pieces ?
I bought a couple of cheap Christmas teatowels in the pound store and cut them into 11cms squares, stitched around three sides (running stitch will do) made up a pad from scrap wool ( use wadding, old teashirts, jumpers, jeans, dusters, whatever you have to hand that will pad it up) that got a good handful of my spicy mix in the middle and inserted it into the wee cushion. Stitched it all closed.
The heat from the mug releases the scent :)

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
From back in grade school:

1) make a small pinhole in the bottom of an egg to extract the egg without breaking the shell. Next die the empty shells like Easter eggs to make Christmas balls to hang on the tree.

2) Use a sewing needle and thread to string popcorn strings (also to hand on the tree.

3) Perhaps the most bushcrafty (if you have access to a place to harvest the Holley) is to gather and make Holley wreaths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE