Chris Ryan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
I agree that the CR prog is entertainment value alone.
It won't be often that many of us would end up in an environment where escape and evation will be the key to survival or that we would be pursued relentlessly by a horde of enemy!
Survival in these circumstances would of course rely on many skills:food/water procurement, coping with the ominous environmental and climatatic conditions combined with the physical and mental exhertion.
it would seem unlikely that anyone would have time to search for food, so water is the priority.
We know that CR during desert storm successfully E&E'd for over 120 miles, surviving hypothermia in the desert nights,but on the siberia programme he came down very quickly with hypothermia.Fortunate that he had good comms and a medic on standby otherwise had it been for real I doubt he'd have made it.
leads me to thinking that no matter how good your skills are, whether as a survival instructor, great knowledge of bushcraft, or even how fit you are, in the end your survival in these circumstances comes down to water, willpower, cunning, instinct to survive and above all mother nature throwing you a lucky dice!
Anyone ever remember the 80's programme 'Survive' and the blind girl who managed to fight her way through the jungle for weeks, swimming through crocodile infested rivers ?
Still though, the learning of natural and ancient skills is a great and fulfilling knowledge and could at some point increase survivability.
As for Hunting Chris Ryan:
Entertainment value? (my wife actually likes to watch it!) so its gotta be a 10/10
Survival awareness value? (based on the magnified hypothermia scenario)7/10
All round Skills content value? 4/10
Any comments?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Guys,

As someone who has worked in movies and tv I can only say one thing :-

IT IS ENTERTAINMENT - just like SAS SURVIVAL and HERO'S OF TELEMARK - it is meant to entertain not necessarily teach.

It is very staged - AFTER ALL how does the camera crew find him and not the hunters? When filming him there will be about 8 techies doing sound, camera, light etc (if not more) and the amount of sign they would leave a blind man could follow.

At the end of the day remember one thing - IF ITS ON THE BOX TAKE IT WITH A PINCH OF SALT - the camera often lies!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
a great program if you..are actually expecting to have to escape and evade capture!

i saw a recent progremme that even showed how to make booby traps, :rant: and they are showing this to the general public!

i remember when i was a boy in scouts we were well into making traps and me and a friend use to make quite complicated traps in an area behind some old garages, we had about 20- 30 trip wires set up and several moving traps including an old bird cage.

my point is this if kids get ideas they try them out, we may see in the papers something about a kid trying to make a "trap" with a firework and someone getting hurt or worse.

do we really need to know how to set up traps that will kill someone?

or should we?

:yikes: i think not.

by all means he should demonstrate techniques usefull to everyone but unless we are all budding mercinaries i fail to see the point! :!:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I may just sinical or paranoid... (not me surely)
But everytime i have been near a telly lately it seems to be warfare on it.
Whether its roman battle tactics in the UK, trench warfare at the somme or escape and evasion with Chris Ryan. Are the media tryimg to tell us something?
Rich

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Maybe the media is clasping hold of what’s important?

People should be looking up to any one of the brave soles, who puts themselves in harms way for our well being.
I can't imagine anything that demands more strength of character, and our attention.

Without real people on the box, the nation has started to idolise almost any tom, dick or DICK who is on television.
The aspirations of our kids to be among them, is certainly a short journey. (Usually a lobotomy)
I appreciate exposure was once a sign of talent and success. But it certainly isn't that way anymore!

Rant mode off :oops:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I reckon that what 'Hunting Chris Ryan' goes to show is:

Survival is as much mental as physical

Even a p**s-poor booby trap can work when you're not looking where you are going

Chris Ryan is a very business savvy bloke - good luck to him

Cheers,

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE