Chopwell fungal foray 2009

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As the title suggests.

We held our annual fungal foray with FC mycologist; Gordon Simpson today.
We had around 60 members of the public turn up, so it was a bit hectic at times but I don't think anyone went away without having whatever they found being id'd.

Waiting for everyone to register:
PA110007.jpg

Then on with the show. Gordon started off by showing the group a few fungi he had brought with him, from yesterday's foray at Thrunton Woods, up in Northumberland.

Then we wandered off and almost immediately, people were bringing in their finds:
PA110055.jpg

There really were dozens of different types of fungi, almost all of which, Gordon id'd from memory, quoting the latin names and habitat etc.

Gordon's knowledge and experience, allow him to 'test' his identification skills, in ways which are not recommended for amateurs!
PA110106.jpg

One of his 'old chestnuts' of advice is that; " All fungi are edible, of course, some of them, only the once:eek:
He pointed out that with a species like the Death Cap, a specimen of only 2.5 inches across, was easily capable of killing almost everyone on the foray today:eek:

As a further demonstration of the risks involved in foraging for fungi, this 'mixed bag' was collected by one of the foragers:
PA110103.jpg

it was tipped out for sorting into edible, non edible and downright dodgey:
PA110104.jpg

He ended up with a tiny handful of edibles; mostly tiny little amethyst deceivers, along with a couple of hedgehog fungus and a small charcoal burners bolete.
PA110107.jpg

It was a cracking day and many of the participants went home with the makings of a tasty snack. I myself, learned a lot more once again but I'm still very much in the; ' not worth the risk' camp, I'm afraid:D

enjoy and be very careful out there;)

R.B.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It was a very pleasant afternoon actually, more so for me, because it was a chance to show my other half some of the stuff we do down there.

Gordon is a dry old stick, he'll ask if anyone fancies a nibble of this or that, then carry on and tell you what it will do to you!

I'm uncertain of exactly how many species were found but it was well over 60. not bad for a two hour bimble in the woods. There were a few ceps and wood hedgehogs, as well as quite a few little amethyst deceivers but the bulk of what was collected was either totally inedible,highly toxic or deadly.

The good edibles are harder to find due to the fact that, obviously, the people who know, collect them. I've actually seen people loading baskets full of fungi into vans a time or two.

It's a fascinating subject however and one which Gordon can talk about for England:D

I'm hoping to organise a proper fungal foraging day, next autumn, which I intend to run as a bushcraft event ,rather than a totally open 'public bimble' .
The idea is to make it a bit more of a learning experience as opposed to a ' have a look at this' type thing.

Unfortunately, the Friends (of Chopwell Wood), still cant quite understand, that there are people out there, who really are interested in the same stuff as me! and insist on trying to persuade me to run 2 or 4 hour 'tasters'. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we'll see how we go and as long as Gordon is still able, he'll happily terrorise us with tails of deadly fungi, as well tales of delicious ones too.:D

all the best

Steve

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
To say that I was P'd off for volunteering to go to work that day is an understatement :banghead:

Me and Mrs Paddler were there the day before on one of my litter-picking forays, and whilst I was dumping the rubbish in the bin opposite the classroom, she spotted the leaflet on the wall.
Felt like throwing a sickie but that goes against my principles :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE