Chopping block (pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have mentioned my chopping block several times recently and thought member's might be interested to see a few pics?

General view of shop. I love this rustic method. Wood that at one time I would of contempuously thrown aside as crap, suddenly is packed full of potential. The book matched pairs are split out of various branches, they could end up as chair legs, arms, chair comb's etc, its like drawing with wood. :D The hawthorn crooks on the wall are blanks to be finished up as elbow adze's.
Untitled-3.jpg

3/4 view. The block is about 40 inches long, a 13 inch or so ash log split in half, the legs are square tennons friction fit into square mortice's. It is just "light" enough to carry, but absorbs shock easily. Those 2 vertical pegs are extremely useful, not only to hold a board on edge fixed there with a wedge, but also they functio as useful stops to hold components against when side axeing so they dont slide across the surface (better accuracy)
Untitled-1.jpg

Close up view. 2 billhook handle blanks just done with the axe up to now. I won a harrison one on ebay, the oak one (on the left) will go with that. Also the froe I bought last Friday? was it. The worm hole's have been treated, but I want to replace the handle anyway. It is the perfect size and weight for my purposes. Sandvik axe, little beauty it just goes and goes. I use it as a knife as much as an axe.
Untitled-2.jpg

Suffolk billhook a new purchase. The steel is superb, I know that by how easy it was to get a wire edge on it :D Plus the sharpening system in use at the mo, thought I'd give the diamond cards a try, not too bad actually. The gerber pen type is what I use to finish. The handle blank's were split from out the firewood pile, from the base of the tree where the grain flares to the exact shape I want for a swell handle.
Untitled-5.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have mentioned my chopping block several times recently and thought member's might be interested to see a few pics?

General view of shop. I love this rustic method. Wood that at one time I would of contempuously thrown aside as crap, suddenly is packed full of potential. The book matched pairs are split out of various branches, they could end up as chair legs, arms, chair comb's etc, its like drawing with wood. :D The hawthorn crooks on the wall are blanks to be finished up as elbow adze's.
Untitled-3.jpg

3/4 view. The block is about 40 inches long, a 13 inch or so ash log split in half, the legs are square tennons friction fit into square mortice's. It is just "light" enough to carry, but absorbs shock easily. Those 2 vertical pegs are extremely useful, not only to hold a board on edge fixed there with a wedge, but also they functio as useful stops to hold components against when side axeing so they dont slide across the surface (better accuracy)
Untitled-1.jpg

Close up view. 2 billhook handle blanks just done with the axe up to now. I won a harrison one on ebay, the oak one (on the left) will go with that. Also the froe I bought last Friday? was it. The worm hole's have been treated, but I want to replace the handle anyway. It is the perfect size and weight for my purposes. Sandvik axe, little beauty it just goes and goes. I use it as a knife as much as an axe.
Untitled-2.jpg

Suffolk billhook a new purchase. The steel is superb, I know that by how easy it was to get a wire edge on it :D Plus the sharpening system in use at the mo, thought I'd give the diamond cards a try, not too bad actually. The gerber pen type is what I use to finish. The handle blank's were split from out the firewood pile, from the base of the tree where the grain flares to the exact shape I want for a swell handle.
Untitled-5.jpg

Nice little working surface there. That froe handle looks like the woodworm have been munching happily.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Those little diamond stones are really quite good. They are a bit harsh, but if you leave them out and let one of your daughters rub two of them together, they seem to get a little bit less aggressive!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well I thought "try them" I was proved wrong with my bigotted and prejudiced attitude towards dremle machine's wasn't I :D They do seem harsh I agree, the "fine" one was coarse enough for me. But they certainly remove stock fast and they fit easily in a pocket, no worries if you break or "lose" them (unlike an £80 waterstone :lmao: )
The holes are treated Eric, but even so I prefer to do my own handle. I bought it for the steel busines end :D A modern version just doesnt feel the same does it

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As I say, rub two together. Use the finest as it is and then get rid of the aggressive grit on the two coarser ones, unless you like them that way. As an aside, I recently got a DC4 and was expecting the diamond side to be similar to these, but it is a hell of a lot less aggressive. These still have their place though for reprofiling blades and the like. I reckon I might give my Sting a going over with them as it was very blunt at Delamere.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Can I ask what is a sting :confused:
The coarsest ones may still have a use for reshaoping bad dings and so forth, but at the price (£1.99 out the market stall at Diss) I cant complain :D With those and the dremel, I honestly cant imagine me using my bench grinder any more (Good thing too, damned noisy filthy thing :lmao:) Or maybe use it as a dedicated polisher instead?
cheers Jonathan :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I just saw these.
Brilliantly simple and effective. Could be made easily in a few minutes from whats there in the woods, or it could even be made collapsible if the fork is joined to the main bar with a loose tapered tennon. Just 3 holes to drill and a little bit of cutting and whittling. And being 3 legged wont wobble on uneven ground. Brilliant.

Saw_dog.jpg

Saw_doga.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE