Choosing a Survival Pack/Day Pack/Hike Pack - Camelbak, Kelty & North Face

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Camelbak Alpine Explorer 2011 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - North Face Hot Shot

3_182.jpg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4_123.jpg

Kelty Peregrine 1800 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Kelty Redtail 30

1_610.jpg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2_359.jpg

Last edited:

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
Mesh stow pockets on the sides are indeed a great future. From what I can read only the Camelbak has front webbing. Make sure you validate the quality of the zippers too, often one of the weakpoints for these types of bags because they get to endure a lot of stress.

I'm a bit surprised why you want two main compartments (three if you count the bladder compartment). I would suppose multiple main compartments are mostly useful for packing clothes and traveling, as opposed to active use. Do you mind elaborating here?

Otherwise I may point you in the direction of Sandpiper of California (US - their Bugout Bag is a classic) and Karrimor SF with the Delta range (UK - you can opt for black instead of olive). None of these bags tick all boxes though but since you've done some serious investigation I'm sure you'll appreciate some of these interesting brands.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm not using alice packs or karrimor as an option because looking non-military is quite an important specification for me, I don't want to stand out in that way as much as possible. For that reason I've crossed off quite a few quality makes - maxpedition, 5.11 tactical etc. But this spec is important for me, OD green or camo with lots of molle looks way too tactical - even though I do like it and think it looks awesome.

Mesh stow pockets on the sides are indeed a great future. From what I can read only the Camelbak has front webbing. Make sure you validate the quality of the zippers too, often one of the weakpoints for these types of bags because they get to endure a lot of stress.

I'm a bit surprised why you want two main compartments (three if you count the bladder compartment). I would suppose multiple main compartments are mostly useful for packing clothes and traveling, as opposed to active use. Do you mind elaborating here?

Otherwise I may point you in the direction of Sandpiper of California (US - their Bugout Bag is a classic) and Karrimor SF with the Delta range (UK - you can opt for black instead of olive). None of these bags tick all boxes though but since you've done some serious investigation I'm sure you'll appreciate some of these interesting brands.

Sorry, I may have used incorrect terminology. All four bags I've shown have what I called "front webbing", also seen it called daisy chain or front looping. I want two main compartments to have the ability to separate and sort gear somewhat - I find having one main large pocket with everything in can become tedious rather quickly. When it comes to gear I'm a pretty huge organisational freak and the more pockets for organisation the better - within reason!

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
The Karrimor SF Delta looks just like your everyday clam-shell design daypack and has no molle nor stap-on pouches yet you get something rugged - these are not the Sabre range. Only has one compartment though, except for a tiny essentials pocket on the inside, and a large map pocket on the front. And it has your daisy chain biner clips albeit on the sides. Excellent piece of kit but may not be what you're looking for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE