Choosing a new firestove!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 21, 2014
Glasgow, UK
Hi People,
Been scouring the interweb recently for a new fire stove for backpacking. I'm having trouble deciding on which stove to get, just because there are too many choices!!
So if you don't mind, I would like your advice on which one to get, or suggest one that you think is better!

Some requirements - need to cook dinner for about 2 people - so no small stoves, doesn't have to pack flat (but if it does that's always a bonus), burns wood, preferably in s/s just because its cheaper and not too heavy!

So I've shortlisted a couple here,
Emberlit stove, wild woodgas stove mk2, firebox stove, honeystove and the Yukon that Chris Randall (canoepaddler) sells.

What do you guys, think?
All the help will be greatly appreciated!
Reece

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
My vote goes for the Folding Firebox. I've had one since it was just out of development stage. I've used it to cook meals for my wife and i. I like the fact that it folds out so there's not a lot I can loose ( I loose parts like you wouldn't believe) It's made of 18g SS built like a tank. They also make a range of accessories for it.

Firebox review on my site.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the woodgas, I bought it over the honey after seeing how much of a faff the honey was to assemble

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have both the SS and Ti Emberlits. Pack unbelievably small, very light and very effective - particularly like the way you can feed in long lengths of wood/branches from the side without removing the pot constantly. (this is also useful to regulate the heat from the beastie) Can take over 50lbs of weight on the top, so large pots not a problem!

I have a couple of the wild woodgas stoves, and they work well too, but take up much more space than the Emberlit, and need constant feeding which gets to be a pain after a while. Mind you, the second-stage woodgas burn can be particularly hypnotic - real "campfire TV"! (and if you load it up with wood pellets (easily found as cat-litter in the supermarkets) it'll burn for about 40 minutes on a fill.

For sheer heat output, there's nothing that comes close to the Vital stove - it allegedly puts out 20,000btu on full chat and I found in Norway that it was melting snow almost as fast as I could shovel it into a Trangia 4.5litre pan! (and the heat output and fan meant that it was capable of burning damp wood effectively).

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
I have only used the folding firebox and apart from being a wee bit on the heavy side (very solid build though), I can't fault it. I got the boiling plate which holds my SS GSI cup and also the grill plate. I think I will be using this stove forever..

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I have only used the folding firebox and apart from being a wee bit on the heavy side (very solid build though), I can't fault it. I got the boiling plate which holds my SS GSI cup and also the grill plate. I think I will be using this stove forever..

I agree it is a tad heavy (2lbs) but it's a trade off against durability and end costs. Titanium is nice and light but a bit more than I'm willing to spend. I like the boil plate as it fits the Stanley camp set. I plan to get the extended grill plate next so I can cook two burgers at a time. I know one thing, the Firebox will certainly outlast me. :)

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have both the SS and Ti Emberlits. Pack unbelievably small, very light and very effective - particularly like the way you can feed in long lengths of wood/branches from the side without removing the pot constantly. (this is also useful to regulate the heat from the beastie) Can take over 50lbs of weight on the top, so large pots not a problem!

I have a couple of the wild woodgas stoves, and they work well too, but take up much more space than the Emberlit, and need constant feeding which gets to be a pain after a while. Mind you, the second-stage woodgas burn can be particularly hypnotic - real "campfire TV"! (and if you load it up with wood pellets (easily found as cat-litter in the supermarkets) it'll burn for about 40 minutes on a fill.

For sheer heat output, there's nothing that comes close to the Vital stove - it allegedly puts out 20,000btu on full chat and I found in Norway that it was melting snow almost as fast as I could shovel it into a Trangia 4.5litre pan! (and the heat output and fan meant that it was capable of burning damp wood effectively).

I am still happy with the original Emberlit stove http://emberlit.com/en/

I couldn't resist backing the titanium 'Fireant' stove on Kickstarter. It's a smaller, lighter multi fuel version. Delivery in July, can't wait :) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621478444/the-fireant-multi-fuel-backpacking-stove?ref=live

How are you both finding your Emberlit Fireants? I'm thinking of getting one, but there are so many choices!

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I have a Gelert folding stove. I can't find a link to it but it's identical to this one:
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/lux...=988fdbe7ec4767c1d139c6d7cc3a01d2&fo_s=gplauk
It's just big enough to cook 4 burgers on the grill so big enough to knock up a meal for two. I like the fact that you can use it as a stove to cook in your pot or pan but also use it as a grill/BBQ or just as a fire pit and it keeps the fire off the ground so minimises scorching. If you turn the top grill through 45degrees you have a little triangular space on each corner where you can feed the fire. If memory serves it is 1.8kg so not light, but it does pack flat and is very versatile if you are looking for a wood burner. :)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I'd be reasonably confident that you're going to get lots of love and appreciation for most of the stoves that you've listed. My friend has the firebox and it's certainly very nice. The bushbox XL seems to be very similar. The one and only downside is the weight, they're both quite heavy.

The wild woodgas stove is ok but I'm less keen on it if I'm honest. I find that it can be a little temporamental. When you add more fuel to the fire, unless it's bone dry, it has a tendency to go through this very smokey re-gasification process and takes a moment to get the fire going again.

I've been using the honey stove for the last couple of years. I'm a big fan of it. At 300g it's a fraction of the weight of the firebox/bushbox and in my opinion, it's every bit as capable, even better when teamed up with a coghlans pack grill so that you can cook with a couple of pots/pans on the go. Best of all though.....it's designed and built in Britain! Some say it's a faff to put together, I disagree and find that you can assemble it very easily if you take a moment to read the instructions (on first use) and recognise that there is a very basic technique to it!

Just go with whatever takes your fancy!

shindig

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2013
Scotland
I have the folding firebox. Bought it when it first came out. Great for cooking on. Also great as a camp fire. I've had it burning for 4 hours many a time. Still going strong. As others have said, it's a tad heavy, but it a jack of all firebox trades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I have the wild wood gas mk2, the firebox and the honey stove, (as well as an mkettle and a solo stove.)

I like all 3 of them. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Some thoughts.
The wood gas mk2 is light, very easy to assemble and wood gasification is great.
It has a learning curve, does not pack flat and clones offer good value for money.
Really good where weight is an issue. Harder to cook for two but can be done. Very efficient for quick boils with right prep.

The firebox is bombproof, very easy to assemble, has good accessories and packs flat, I also think it's very versatile.
It is heavy, it's the heaviest option, but it is dependable, easy to manage heat output and accessories make it great for cooking for two. Really good when you want something to just always work, basically no matter what it won't go wrong.

The honey stove is lighter, packs flat and with the hive expansion is really versatile.
It is a little trickier to assemble than the other two, which could be an issue if you were cold, tired and hungry.
It doesn't feel as strong or solid as the other two options, that might be an illusion (not had an issue). Probably best when used with a grill as said.

It really depends what you want, for a day pack I'd tend towards the wild wood gas stove, for a longer hiking trip I'd go with the honey, for an overnighter I'd probably go with the firebox. And if money was an issue I'd get a wild wood gas clone for £10-15.
However I think you could use any of them for anything and not be disappointed.

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
Have been using the Firebox for a while and a friend loves hers - recently been looking at the Bushbox XL and found a cheap bundle with the outdoor bag and universal grate included (well cheaper than amazon anyways!!)

https://store.wild-bounds.com/collections/bushcraft-essentials/products/bushbox-xl-combination-kit

Never realised cat litter was little wood pellets - may have to visit the corner shop for the cheap stuff :)

When you guys are using these kinds of stoves, how to you keep it clean, I mean in camp, with a build up of 'soot' from burning then folding it all together I end up with a mucky stove, and unlike my kelly kettle that is just dirty on the inside, this stuff seems to get everywhere, maybe I'm using it wrong, but after a few nights cooking, packing up, moving camp, cooking, packing up etc. the whole stove is a bit dirty?

Hope the OP finds the right stove - would love to hear how the search went - Jay

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Using the ash from a wood fire in a bit of a slurry and some elbow grease removes soot pretty well I've found. At least on steel (not tried it on ali or ti though).

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Got my hands on an Emberlit Fireant in stainless (not paying 30 quid more for just 3 oz less...it's featherweight as it is) and got a short burn going. Waiting on a mess kit to get cooking with it so can't pass any judgement on what it's like to use for real, but it's superbly light (6.5 oz or something) and fits in a cargo pocket. The edges do need sanding (as they suggest) - cut me good assembling the thing!

33047-img-20170504-141006-jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Aye, they can be a bit sharp. I got in touch with Mik (Merkware, Emberlit producer) a few years ago and ran some GBs. I had to close the one here because in order to get a deal, I needed to import as samples. I wasn't sure this was going to work as far as import duties go, so couldn't give people an absolute definite price. I still have the original stainless full size, and it's a great burner. I sold the full size Ti and Mini Ti.

I use gas stoves most of the time, but there is great pleasure to be had feeding and cooking on an Emberlit.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Aye, they can be a bit sharp. I got in touch with Mik (Merkware, Emberlit producer) a few years ago and ran some GBs. I had to close the one here because in order to get a deal, I needed to import as samples. I wasn't sure this was going to work as far as import duties go, so couldn't give people an absolute definite price. I still have the original stainless full size, and it's a great burner. I sold the full size Ti and Mini Ti.

I use gas stoves most of the time, but there is great pleasure to be had feeding and cooking on an Emberlit.

Never used a backpacking gas camping stove (though was tempted by the MSR PocketRocket) but I just have a real problem with paying for those damn canisters! I totally get the convenience of them, and also the fact that they'll work whenever you want them to (within reason), but I like the idea of only carrying a few sheets of metal and the sourcing the fuel en route.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Never used a backpacking gas camping stove (though was tempted by the MSR PocketRocket) but I just have a real problem with paying for those damn canisters! I totally get the convenience of them, and also the fact that they'll work whenever you want them to (within reason), but I like the idea of only carrying a few sheets of metal and the sourcing the fuel en route.

I can get that, but I'll be having my coffee while you're grubbing around for dry sticks :lmao:

I'm using the big canisters for static camping. There was a heads up on BB for 6 cans for £20. One does a 3 nighter, for cooking, water heating, and lantern. Nice and stable. It's just too convenient.

These things.

https://www.total-fishing-tackle.co...anister-c500?gclid=CLDUi4TL19MCFQ46GwodLzsC8A

But, I still like the Emberlit, and I still like my Vapalux lanterns. And I haven't even fired the Optimus 45 paraffin stove I got on here. 3 nighter car camp over the Bank Hol at the end of the month, so I'll probably take the lot. :)

Lots of fun to be had, but I agree the small canisters are very expensive and can see the value of a wood stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE