Choice of stove for Canada

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Does anybody know if methylated spirits (i.e. denatured alcohol) is readily available in Canada and northern United States? I'm off to Toronto (from there traveling across and down to Maine) in a week or so and I am wondering what stove to take with me. I also have the propane gas-type.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Best check the airline will allow you to carry any empty fuel bottles or stoves. Air Canada would not let us fly with our MSR bottles empty and rinsed. Had to buy a new bottle for the trip from MEC.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Just about every hardware store in the US has Meths, called "denatured alcohol" here.SLX is the best known brand, find it in the paint thinner section. You can also get methanol, which works just as well, in a gasoline additive called "Heet". Use only the yellow bottle, as the red bottle "Heet" contains Iso propanol, which smokes badly. Standard screw on gas canisters are available everywhere in. outdoor/camping stores (even Walmart and Target)

LM J

Nomad
Nov 26, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks all.

A meths burner is my preference and mine was so only a couple of quid, so I'll take my chance with the airlines. Won't risk the (empty) fuel bottle though.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Thanks all.

A meths burner is my preference and mine was so only a couple of quid, so I'll take my chance with the airlines. Won't risk the (empty) fuel bottle though.
Buy the meths in-country and carry it in the bottle it comes in?

If travelling by air I usually take a gas burner and buy the cartridges locally (can also be used for the Primus micron lamp I carry ;))

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Lie :p say it's a drinks bottle (the aluminium ones with the screw 'O' tops that you put 'biners onto, the MSR on the side is jsut a promo sticker you stuck on :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buy the meths in-country and carry it in the bottle it comes in?

If travelling by air I usually take a gas burner and buy the cartridges locally (can also be used for the Primus micron lamp I carry ;))

As PDA1 said it's in just about every hardware store over here and it's inexpensive BUT; it's considered a paint thinner and usually comes in either a 1 gallon can (or for industrial use, in a 5 gallon can)

Jun 13, 2011
Canada
absolutely, go to any "Canadian Tire" or camping outfitter or hardware store you can get a huge variety of fuels even solid fuels iso alcohol can be gotten at pharmacies meths can be bought at dollar stores.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE