Chinese PLA Water Filters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Does anyone know if these are genuine? Quite a few on eBay. Don't know the first thing about water filters as I've always been a sift and boil kind of person.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Having had many things from China, I would avoid a water filter. There is a general reputation of misleading descriptions or downright lying in listings. It may be a genuine filter, but I wouldn't take the chance.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I ask about these a while back and someone showed an artical on test that was done to these filters, and after a couple of uses the filter looked like it had 1000 gallons of water pass through, the thing was a mess.
it defo put me off waisting my money, im sorry I cant seem to find the artical tho
mb

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Chinese water filters? not worth the risk IMO without some proper reviews and testing.

Then again, I'm not sure where my aquaguard eliminator is made....

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I ask about these a while back and someone showed an artical on test that was done to these filters, and after a couple of uses the filter looked like it had 1000 gallons of water pass through, the thing was a mess.
it defo put me off waisting my money, im sorry I cant seem to find the artical tho
mb
To be fair to the filter it's a good thing that the filter got so dirty, it's showing that it's at least doing its job and taking the crud out, much more worrying would be a clean filter as that means the muck would have been let through. Even my Katadyn looks like that, granted it takes longer but that's because it has a larger filter element, then again it's far bigger, heavier and far more expensive.
Can't comment on the performance regarding removing bacterial elements though.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
LOL. Thanks for your input and the link to that article, really appreciate it!

It's funny because I am actually Chinese and know better than most to avoid stuff like this but it was worth a ask I reckon. You never know where the next bargain lies!

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
Having lived and worked in China, I would say that this is definitely not military issue and that it is just a mass produced factory product. May well filter what you need it to, but you wouldn't catch me drinking from it! :sad6:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Right, ohhh, where to start.

I dont like Chinese goods. I dont like fakes. I dont like people ripping off others designs.

However....

A while back I got into a debate via PM with someone about all the above. Long story short, I bought one of those water filters.

Result?

Actually, it's not bad kit at all. It DOES clog quite quickly, but then it doesn't half remove some serious crud from the water. It takes seconds to clean though, so no biggy.

With performance, well, I had a family friend who may or may not work for a Government agency that takes a close interest in water, enviromental and protection, ahem, run a lab test for me.

Seems the filter put out water that quality far exceeds that which comes down my tap in my kitchen!

I got mine for £24 delivered. Happy indeed. I use it on my bum bag with a collapsable cup when I'm out on a training run near some woods to me, and I know I'll want to stop and have a drink after a few miles. It's the size of a glasses case, weighs nothing, and works. Rest of the time it lives in my emergencies bag with my Millbank bags.

All in, recommended

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE