Chinese omnifuel stove *Pic heavy*

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I picked up one of these (TK800A) omnifuel stoves after seeing them mentioned by rik uk3 in this thread a little while ago. I paid £32 but they've gone up to £38 now :eek: daylight robbery! It took about a week to arrive from hong kong along with a few other bits (where as the optimus trangia adaptor took over 3 weeks from a British company :rolleyes: but thats another story...)

Anyway I just thought I'd give you a rather quick rundown on the stove.

The box it came in is very sturdy but would take up a lot of room in a pack so not much use unless you're car camping.
P1000652_1.jpg

Here it is opened up, the black bag contains adaptors for different types of gas bottle these don't come with the stove but they were about £1 for two adaptors so I thought I'd pick some up anyway.
P1000653_1.jpg

Build quality is good and its of sturdy construction but if you do decide to go for one of these check over all the fitting etc before use as with the one I had the fuel line was loose where it attached to the burner, just a case of tightening with the tool though.

On the Liquid Fuel:
P1000665_1.jpg

On the Gas:
P1000667_1.jpg

Here's a close up of the pump, I went for the metal pump version which cost an extra £8 (£32 as opposed to £24 for the plastic version). You can simmer with the stove using the orange anodised knob I cant really comment on how effective this is compared to other stoves but it seemed to work well for me.
P1000660_1.jpg

The fuel bottle is the same sort of quality as the usual cheap sigg type bottles (ok) and the writing came off as soon as a drop of petrol hit it, not really a problem though.
P1000669_1.jpg

It comes with a tool, two different size jets (3 in total) and a number of spare seals.
P1000671_1.jpg

Here it is in use:
P1000679_1.jpg

Fitted to my trangia 27, Its a bit of a tight fit but no modifications are needed to the windshield. When you pack it up it nests in the trangia in place of the spirit burner so still makes or a very compact unit.
P1000690_1.jpg

Going full pelt:
P1000680_1.jpg

I'm very impressed with it and think it’s a cracking little stove. It'll mostly be used in the trangia but I would be equally as happy to use it in its standard form.

I would recommend the stove but as I mentioned before if you get one check all of the connections before you use it.

One thing I will say is if you've not used this type of stove before (like me) they are pretty scary the first time you start them up :eek:. If I'm honest I'm still slightly scared of it :D.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They take the standard screw type cans of gas. I've used paraffin and coleman fuel in mine, but mine did not come with a nice box like that:(

Worth picking up a spare fuel line for a tenner, always handy to have.

Good stove, good value for money.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
@duncan
There are two extra adaptors one is for use on the aerosol type gas bottles, and the other one is pretty much useless as it appears to be for the screw top gas bottles which the stove already accepts :confused:

They were only about a quid for two so I'm not too bothered.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Well I've only ever put petrol through mine as I had some to hand but as far as I'm aware it will burn the majority of liquid fuels including diesel, it all just depends on the jet that you fit.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I wouldn't worry too much Celt_Ginger the primus stoves are great and will always be worth decent money if you ever want to pass them on, I doubt that will be the same with this stove. Parts availability would probably be abit easier in 10-15 years time with a primus too!

m.durston, yeah its just the standard optimus trangia adaptor costs about 7-8 quid.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Diesel fuel should be used as a last resort (Optimus and Primus say so ), it really does clog up the jets of the stove(s).

This stove will burn paraffin and Coleman type fuel (again, car petrol additives are not good for you or the stove). My only concerns with these stoves is the quality of the fuel line, nowhere near as good as the Omnifuel line or the Nova line (hence why I said take a spare) and I'm not sure what jets are compatible with it; I'll strip mine down and have a play to see what fits.

Still great value for money.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Yep just normal car petrol from the pump, its not ideal but all I had when I pulled the stove out of the box.

I think I'll pick up a spare fuel line for it soon then...and maybe some other bits :rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep just normal car petrol from the pump, its not ideal but all I had when I pulled the stove out of the box.

I think I'll pick up a spare fuel line for it soon then...and maybe some other bits :rolleyes:

Good idea on the spares, car fuel will clog your stove.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I may have missed this but how do you keep the jet clean on this stove?

It's obviously a clone of the Optimus Nova+ and that comes with a magnetic needle that ****** the jet but I'm guessing this doesn't use the same method.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans

It's obviously a clone of the Optimus Nova+ and that comes with a magnetic needle that ****** the jet but I'm guessing this doesn't use the same method.

thats a good question as i've ordered one of these a few days ago. Also something else has popped up in regards to these stoves, the website that i ordered it from is offline. I'm praying that they havent taken my £45 and run off with it! only time will tell i suppose :(

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Its not a Nova clone.

There is a cleaning needle on the stoves tool that you ***** the jet out with.

Jan 1, 2010
harrogate
with the three jets is it identical to the omnifuel in that its different jets for different fuels or can you (at a push) use one jet for multiple fuels ie same jet for white-gas and gas(canister)

Last edited:

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Yep you use different jets depending on the fuel, I've used white gas and canister gas through the same jet without problems if that's what you were planning on doing.

ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE